SharpDX DirectInput not found

Started by
3 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 2 months ago

So, I've now started coding a text renderer into my engine, based on D2D1 and DirectWrite. Now, to do that I had to switch from the SharpDX DX11 to the DX11_2 binaries. Problem is, they don't include DirectInput. So I tried to keep using the SharpDX.DirectInput.dll from the DX11 version, but I keep getting a namespace not found error. What can I do? I don't want to switch to RawInput since I have absolutely zero clue about it.

Advertisement

Idk why, but suddenly it worked ^^

Magic!

DirectInput has been depreciated by MS for years. It is now just an expensive shell over regular Windows messages.

You should be using standard Windows messages (for text input and mouse cursor), Raw Input (for game controls, joysticks, and mouselook), and XInput (for controllers).

None of them are particular difficult to learn - the hardest part really is to get your input system to switch between them as appropriate.

You might want to read this thread about good ways to handle windows input messages. It is c++ oriented but there are some absolute gems there: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/664831-handling-input-via-windows-messages-feedback-requested/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement