Looking for feedback on a video game piece?

Started by
8 comments, last by CCH Audio 9 years, 2 months ago

So saw the sticky about not asking vague questions about how music would fit into videogames so I'll try be specific. There's a game called Tagpro (http://tagpro.gg/). It's free and every once in a while they ask for original music (for free). I decided to write a track for it.

Here's the link to the track: https://soundcloud.com/jbellstudios/battle-of-the-spheres

Do you think it fits well with the game?

Is the volume at the right level or does it have to be compressed/limited more?

Are there any mixing issues?

It is loopable so I've got that going for me.

Thanks for any feedback!

Advertisement

Cool piece, I like the composition and I think it fits well with the game. But there are some mixing issues. It's very 'muddy' at the moment. The bass frequencies are covering up a lot of the cool stuff in the mid-low range. I would EQ the bass a bit more narrowly and then maybe transpose half of it up like 50hz or so. The piano in there also sounds really good but it's hard to hear. I would volume or EQ automate that so it stands out more in parts and comes to the forefront of the mix. Finally that brass sounding synth that comes in once in a while (you can hear it at :45 - :49) is a bit piercing I would roll that off a little. Mixing issues aside it's a cool piece, nice work.

Thanks for the help! Yeah it's a bit muddy in the bass so I'll cut out some of the lower frequencies and turn down the brass synth. Should I compress some of the instruments a bit more or is the volume good?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help! Yeah it's a bit muddy in the bass so I'll cut out some of the lower frequencies and turn down the brass synth. Should I compress some of the instruments a bit more or is the volume good?

Thanks again!

The dynamic range seems ok, probably doesn't need to be compressed any more.

OK thanks for all of the advice and feedback!

Ahoy, OP! I'll trade you a review for a review!

Listening to the piece, I like the beat, and I like the fact that you balance different types of reverb and EQ, with different noises fading in and out of their EQ settings, or melodies popping out over basslines. That said, I do think that sometimes the piece as a whole sound a touch too 'muffled', especially the baseline. The groove is good, and texturally you had enough elements to keep me interested. The solo synth near the middle might do well with either a slightly soft sound, or a bit of reverb, just so the ear doesn't get tired of how bright it is.

That's my thought, at least, but I'm some anonymous hack on the internet.

If you want to pay my back, here's something I wrote for the Global Game Jam.

https://soundcloud.com/evan-witt/hellz-kitchen-gameplay-theme

I'm planning on giving it a clean-up and polish, so any advice you have on what to cut or what to keep would be most welcome.

Hey thanks for the feedback! Yeah it is a bit muffled, and the synth's pretty loud. I might want to EQ a bit more of the bass out of the mix as well.

I'll see if I can find anything to give you feedback!

The piece sounds really awesome and it does sound ironically epic haha. Also, what sample libraries are you using? They sound really nice.

The brass is a bit overpowering at times but that might be what you were going for. Also, it sounds like some parts are a bit off rhythmically. Did you make sure to quantize everything? For example, at 1:16 when you're contrasting between the brass and soft harp, it sounds like things are coming in early. Other than that, I think it sounds like it would fit really well in a hell's kitchen game (if that's what it's for).

Thanks, BellJ, I can hear exactly what you mean at 1:16: working on the cleanup now!

Oh, and in response to your question, my brass libraries are Sample Modeling (which are the best that I've personally found), with Vienna Instruments for my strings and woodwinds.

Oh, and in response to your question, my brass libraries are Sample Modeling (which are the best that I've personally found), with Vienna Instruments for my strings and woodwinds.

I've been using East-West for the longest time and it's starting to get a little dated. Been thinking about Vienna but 6 grand is a lot to spend on midi...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement