Sign in to follow this  
Medo Mex

DX11 Supporting Multiple DirectX Versions

Medo Mex    891

Hello,

I have interface IRenderer, two classes are derived from this interface IDX9Renderer and IDX11Renderer.

Now, I'm trying to be able to support either DX9 or DX11 in my engine

So my question is: How IRenderer interface structure should look like?

For example:

IRenderer::createVertexBuffer(...);
IRenderer::draw(...);

What to put in the above methods as a parameter so I can use it in both classes IDX9Renderer and IDX11Renderer?

Edited by Medo3337

cozzie    5029
If you want to follow this path, you need to create functions in the renderer class that apply to both the dx9 and dx11 inherited classes. Everything dx9/dx11 specific you can add (members and functions) to the inherited classes.

Just out of curiosity, why go though this at all? Since all gpu's from 3 years old and younger (by head) support dx11. Plus windows xp isn't supported anymore (and I believe not often used among gamers). Of course if it's just for practice then it's another case.

I created an engine which I've been working on for years using dx9. But it's set up quite modular and flexible so later on I can "update" it to dx11.

Medo Mex    891

@cozzie: The reason why is that I want to be able to add any future version of DirectX to the engine.

I'm still not sure what the correct rendering interface IRenderer should look like.

cozzie    5029
class IRenderer
{
// generic renderer stuff
}

class IDirectX9Renderer : public IRenderer
{
// specific dx9 stuff
}

If this is not what you're looking for, then maybe can you be a bit more specific.

Medo Mex    891

@cozzie: That's already what I have, now I'm not sure what the correct parameters that I should put here so I can support multiple version of DX:

IRenderer::createIndexBuffer(...);

ryan20fun    2635

@cozzie: That's already what I have, now I'm not sure what the correct parameters that I should put here so I can support multiple version of DX:

IRenderer::createIndexBuffer(...);

I would say that you should start by doing a low level abstraction of the one you want your interface to emulate.

Right now I have a "ResourceCreator" class that you can get after you load the library(DLL), This in tern is used to create any type of resource that is supported.

An example of my index buffer's create method(I do need to make alowance for 2byte indices):

/*! This creates the vertex buffer with the specified number of elements and in the specified memory pool.
*	Parameters:
*		Elements	: The number of elements of length of sizeof( pIndices[ 0 ] ).
*		pIndices	: A pointer to the index data to use for creation.
*		Topology	: How the elements will be use to create the rendering surface.
*		Usage		: The usage pattern to apply to this resource.
*		CPUAccess	: What access should the CPU have to this resource.
*/
DLLEXPORT virtual HRESULT Create( const unsigned Elements, const unsigned* pIndices,
								  const PrimitiveTopology Topology = PrimitiveTopology::TriangleList,
								  const UsageType Usage = UsageType::Immutable,
								  const CPUAccess CPUAccess = CPUAccess::None ) = NOT_IMPLEMENTED;

And the vertex buffer:

/*! This creates the vertex buffer with the specified number of elements.
*	Parameters:
*		Elements	: The number of elements of length of Description.length().
*		Description	: The layout of each element in memory.
*		pVertices	: A pointer to the vertex data to use for creation.
*		Usage		: The usage pattern to apply to this resource.
*		CPUAccess	: What access should the CPU have to this resource.
*/
DLLEXPORT virtual HRESULT Create( const unsigned Elements, const Vertex::Layout Description,
								  const void* pVertices, UsageType Usage = UsageType::Immutable,
								  const CPUAccess CPUAccess = CPUAccess::None ) = NOT_IMPLEMENTED;

HTH

Ryan.

Alessio1989    4634

What is the purpose of DX9 support? If it is for old hardware instead of Windows XP you can use Direct3D feature levels to target SM 2.x and SM 3.0 GPUs (keep in mind that you will unable to use SM 3.0 features) https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff476876.aspx

Otherwise as suggested you should write different rendering path for D3D9 and D3D11 (write you own graphics API could be really challenging since DX9 and DX11 are really different in features).

Edited by Alessio1989

Juliean    7077

Just out of curiosity, why go though this at all? Since all gpu's from 3 years old and younger (by head) support dx11. Plus windows xp isn't supported anymore (and I believe not often used among gamers). Of course if it's just for practice then it's another case.

What is the purpose of DX9 support?

As of Dezember 2014, Windows XP still holds 18,26% of market share according to this site:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

I don't know how much of those 18,26% are gamers, but it based on those numbers it could still be viable to support XP to get an increased userbase.

Edited by Juliean

Brain    18906

I don't know how much of those 18,26% are gamers

I'm not sure I'd trust these figures at all for gaming metrics, as it is based on Web browser useragent strings which are not relevant to what we are doing.

On the other hand steam records much better statistics of operating system usage: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Edit: this shows about 4% XP users, 32 and 64 bit combined...

Edited by braindigitalis

Medo Mex    891

Right now there is a problem:

vs_4_0 is working in DX11 but NOT working in DX9

vs_3_0 is NOT working in DX11 but working in DX9

NOT working means HRESULT (E_FAIL) When calling Device::CreateVertexBuffer()

Why?

ryan20fun    2635

Right now there is a problem:

vs_4_0 is working in DX11 but NOT working in DX9

vs_3_0 is NOT working in DX11 but working in DX9

NOT working means HRESULT (E_FAIL) When calling Device::CreateVertexBuffer()

Why?

Those are Vertex Shader versions, I do not see how that is affecting the creation of a Vertex Buffer.

Can you show the some code on how you are creating the resources?

If you have further issues I can post the relevent (sections of) code that I use.

HTH

Ryan.

Medo Mex    891

@ryan20fun: The following doesn't work, if I changed LPCSTR pProfile parameter from vs_3_0 to vs_4_0 it will work

ID3D10Blob *VS, *PS;
 D3DX11CompileFromFile("shader.fx", 0, 0, "VS", "vs_3_0", 0, 0, 0, &VS, 0, 0);
 D3DX11CompileFromFile("shader.fx", 0, 0, "PS", "ps_3_0", 0, 0, 0, &PS, 0, 0);

device->CreateVertexShader(VS->GetBufferPointer(), VS->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &pVS);
 device->CreatePixelShader(PS->GetBufferPointer(), PS->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &pPS);

ryan20fun    2635

@ryan20fun: The following doesn't work, if I changed LPCSTR pProfile parameter from vs_3_0 to vs_4_0 it will work

ID3D10Blob *VS, *PS;

device->CreateVertexShader(VS->GetBufferPointer(), VS->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &pVS);
 device->CreatePixelShader(PS->GetBufferPointer(), PS->GetBufferSize(), NULL, &pPS);

Hmm, I think it has to do with feature level( I have never tried using vs_3_0 before).

What happens if you use downleveled feature level like D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3?

Would it hurt to just use vs_4_0 when using D3D10+ ?

Unfortunetly I only used the Fixed Funciton Pipeline with D3D9, So I can not help you with any pointers with making a interface that would require minimal changes to use D3D9.

HTH

Ryan.

Medo Mex    891

I guess D3D11 doesn't support vs_3_0 / ps_3_0.

There is something I'm not sure if I'm doing correctly.

For vertex buffers, D3D9 uses IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 while D3D11 uses ID3D11Buffer

What is the correct way to create a struct that handle both so I can use it in IRenderer?

Here is what I have right now:

struct EngineVertexBuffer
{
       ID3D11Buffer *D3D9_VB;
       IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 *D3D11_VB;
};

Alessio1989    4634

ID3D10Blob *VS, *PS;

ID3D10Blob *VS, *PS;

Hmm, I think it has to do with feature level( I have never tried using vs_3_0 before).
What happens if you use downleveled feature level like D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3?

Would it hurt to just use vs_4_0 when using D3D10+ ?

Unfortunetly I only used the Fixed Funciton Pipeline with D3D9, So I can not help you with any pointers with making a interface that would require minimal changes to use D3D9.

HTH
Ryan.

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3 does NOT support shader model 3, only SM 2.x.

Here are the correct shader compiler targets for Direct3D10Level9 feature levels (applies to DX10.1 and DX11.x, and I can guess the upcoming DX12): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj215820.aspx#direct3d_9.1__9.2__and_9.3_feature_levels

Edited by Alessio1989

ryan20fun    2635

For vertex buffers, D3D9 uses IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 while D3D11 uses ID3D11Buffer

What is the correct way to create a struct that handle both so I can use it in IRenderer?

Here is what I have right now:

struct EngineVertexBuffer
{
      ID3D11Buffer *D3D9_VB;
      IDirect3DVertexBuffer9 *D3D11_VB;
};

I would use two different implementations, But if you want to have one implementation to hold both versions for some reason then I would use a union and some type of global variable denotating which one to use.

So it would be:

class VertexBuffer : public GraphicsResource
{
  public:
     void*           GetObject() const;
     SomeVariable    GetVersion() const;

private:
     union
     {
          ID3D11Buffer*             VB11;
          IDirect3DVertexBuffer9*   VB9;
     } u;