Windows 10 and Cortana

Started by
4 comments, last by TheChubu 9 years, 2 months ago

Okay, so I'm porting my game to Windows Metro, because I believe it will be pretty well suited for it due to it's mechanics and minimalist art style. And of course, I'd like to target Windows 10 and take advantage of some of it's exclusive features, such as Cortana. Now, I've never actually used any APIs for Cortana before and I'm still rather new to writing apps for Windows Metro, but I think it would be a rather nifty feature to use in my game. So far, every example I find is for Windows Phone 8, which is great in all because I'm supporting that too, but nothing in C++ so far. Every example uses C#, and that's not the language my game uses.

So my question is (for those of you who are actively dev'ing with the Windows 10 preview), are the APIs basically the same between Windows Phone 8 and Windows 10? And where can I find the APIs for C++? All I can find is C# so far.

Thanks.

Shogun.

Advertisement

This is a pretty good place to start.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

"Modern" apps in Windows 8, and 10 all run under the "Windows Runtime" sometimes abbreviated as "WinRT" - not to be confused with the "Windows RT" that stands for the version of Windows 8 that runs on ARM.

.NET languages like C# and VB can compile down to WinRT code without changes, but for C++ most use a variant called C++/CX.

Once you have the nitty-gritty of C++/CX out of the way, you should be able to follow the C# examples, as the libraries, events, and other things are identical.

You could also look into using the Windows Runtime C++ Template Library (WRL) if you want to use fully ISO C++ code rather then relying on the /CX compiler extensions. (Note that this does not make your code any more or less portable, you're still tied to Windows and would need an abstraction layer over the OS parts if you were to port to, say, Mac or Linux)

Okay, that's more explanatory. It's quite annoying that every example is in C#. I guess it's best to hold off on the cortana stuff for now until I get the hang of coding for Windows Metro.

While I'm at it, how the heck do I include resource files in a Windows Metro app?

Shogun.

Okay, that's more explanatory. It's quite annoying that every example is in C#. I guess it's best to hold off on the cortana stuff for now until I get the hang of coding for Windows Metro.

While I'm at it, how the heck do I include resource files in a Windows Metro app?

Shogun.

Depends on your definition of resource files. Modern apps do not have .rc files like Win32 programs, they use packages which the store understands which helps users only download resources that they need (for example, a French user doesn't need English assets).

Packaging your Windows Store DirectX game

take advantage of some of it's exclusive features, such as Cortana.
"take advantage of Cortana" heh.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement