Where to take this from here?

Started by
3 comments, last by Ecoste 9 years, 2 months ago
I've made a bit of a 2(supports many players) -player prototype game, and it's kind of fun for what it is. The idea came from Team Fortress's 2 tennis mod or whatever it's called.

Here's a little demo:

But, that's all it is and I'd like to expand further on the concept.

I don't really know where to take it from here, apart from adding a couple of challenge levels, some interesting maps with different types of rockets and a lot of them and some system that drops power up. But, it's still all based on one meager concept which I find kind of hard to expand upon.

Any ideas?
Advertisement

Perhaps you could have something drop from the sky once in a while. If you manage to hit it with your rocket you might get something special? Like a faster rocket or a new rocket for 20 seconds to which you are invulnerable.

I'm honestly not clear on the aim of the game: is there a scoring zone? Is there a way to miss a return and get blown up? How does one gain score, or win, or lose?

(Forgive me if I missed some demonstration of this in the video--I think that I was somewhat tired when I watched it. ^^; )

However, two ideas do come to mind anyway:

1) Different "characters", each with their own traits (speed, return-volley strength, etc.), and perhaps some sort of "special ability" (split the rocket into two for one volley, or teleport, etc.).

2) Various game-modes, each with their own scoring mechanisms; the two possibilities mentioned above might be examples: deathmatch, in which missing a return results in being blown up, and "soccer", in which there's a scoring zone into which one is expected to direct the rocket.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Looks cool!

The obvious direction is to make it more of a 'pong' sports game, complete with scoring elements, etc. Looks like it has lots of potential for that.

A less obvious (ie: it might not work) route would be a puzzle game. Given that the ball gravitates between the 2 planets (or whatever they are!) - you could have the same player controlling both planets, having to get the ball through various objectives (or even create a certain 'shape' in the sky, with the white trails the ball leaves).

Whichever you go for, the first 2 questions I would ask are:

1. what kind of experience do I want the player to have

2. what is their objective going to be?

and take it from there! good luck

I'm honestly not clear on the aim of the game: is there a scoring zone? Is there a way to miss a return and get blown up? How does one gain score, or win, or lose?

(Forgive me if I missed some demonstration of this in the video--I think that I was somewhat tired when I watched it. ^^; )

However, two ideas do come to mind anyway:

1) Different "characters", each with their own traits (speed, return-volley strength, etc.), and perhaps some sort of "special ability" (split the rocket into two for one volley, or teleport, etc.).

2) Various game-modes, each with their own scoring mechanisms; the two possibilities mentioned above might be examples: deathmatch, in which missing a return results in being blown up, and "soccer", in which there's a scoring zone into which one is expected to direct the rocket.

Sorry, it might not be super clear from the video. Basically, those things rotating the players are hearts, and when you get hit then 1 heart goes away.

Soccer actually seems to be a great idea with this kind of game, thanks a lot for that suggestion I'll definitely implement it once I get some time.

I also thought about different characters, but not sure what each one should feature. I'll see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement