Should I Port to D3D10 or D3D11 ?

Started by
7 comments, last by Jason Z 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys,

I was thinking of updating my D3D9 code to either D3D10 or D3D11. It shouldn't be too difficult since I'm already using .fx and very little FFP.

If I chose D3D11 will the end user need Windows 8 and/or a D3D11 video card ?

It's not a cutting edge engine and I want people with older, mid-level systems to be able to run it. If everything was complete I'd leave it as D3D9 but I'm still adding stuff and thought it would be better to update now.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

Advertisement

If I chose D3D11 will the end user need Windows 8 and/or a D3D11 video card ?

No, they'll need Windows Vista (or above) and a D3D9 (or above) video card.

When you create a D3D11 device, it can be one of many "feature levels". There's feature levels for D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11 era video cards.

e.g. If you choose to support D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0 as your minimum, then your users would require a D3D10-compatible video card.

Because of this, there's no point in ever using D3D10 any more -- you may as well just use D3D11.

That is a very satisfying answer. Thanks a lot.

I'd also say 11 for sure

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

does gui buttons work differently for dx11?, i am still kind of stuck how to convert my d3d9 menu to d3d11, its using vertices with RHW etc

:)
does gui buttons work differently for dx11?, i am still kind of stuck how to convert my d3d9 menu to d3d11, its using vertices with RHW etc

D3D doesn't have "GUI buttons," that's something you or some third-party implemented.
D3D10+ is a significantly different API from 9, so yes, you will likely need to adjust a few things in porting between 9 and anything modern.

One vote for wait until DX12 and port to DX12 :)

Dx11 is also a much cleaner and nicer api than dx9. There isn't much reason to move to 10 as others have said feature levels help you out with this. I went straight into Dx11 knowing nothing except directdraw 6 and picked it up very quick so it can't be that hard as I am pretty much a 3d noob...

One vote for wait until DX12 and port to DX12 smile.png

I don't know if D3D12 is really going to be a replacement for D3D11, but rather a way to 'look under the hood' and do something specialized for a particular situation. In any case, learning D3D11 will get you most of the way to understanding D3D12, so it is a good investment either way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement