• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EEletri

Second programming language...

This topic is 1235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, right, I learned C++ during the last year and now I think it's time to learn a second language.

I've been programming simple console applications and even some games with SFML during this time.

Now, I think I should learn a second programming language and I am thinking between learning HTML5 (Javascript), Python, C# or another.

What do you guys recommend, what is good for a 14 years old programmer to learn to get better at coding ?

Edited by EEletri

Advertisement
You might as well learn a functional language to expand your horizons. I learned F# for a few months and it really opened my eyes to other styles of programming.

Oh, my bad. I interpreted "14 years programmer" as programming for 14 years, not 14 years old. Yeah, functional programming might be a bit premature.

After reading through some of your previous post, you have already started discussions on this topic and told us you had started learning HTML5/JS.

What more are you gaining by starting a new thread? Is there anything in specific you want advise on that wasn't covered in the last thread?

EDITED: You have also mentioned you dabbled in Python before C++ and you gave someone advise on a C# book and told them you learnt alot by reading it. Now your asking if you should learn C#? Make up your mind, stop wasting peoples time and stick with a language.

You are 14 years old, I wouldn't have recommended starting with a language like C++ but if you are most comfortable with it, why change now?

Edited by Kirkkaf13

Why learn only one or two? Dabble in it all, work out what you like about each. It will all make you a better programmer in the end (and it sounds like you have plenty of years ahead of you yet). Btw I'm coming from the opposite end with 14 years OF commercial programming experience - hmm been a long time since I was 14 smile.png

Edited by spazzarama

Oh, my bad. I interpreted "14 years programmer" as programming for 14 years, not 14 years old. Yeah, functional programming might be a bit premature.

Besides, C# gets you close enough to functional programming, without going full weirdo.

Why learn only one or two? Dabble in it all, work out what you like about each. It will all make you a better programmer in the end (and it sounds like you have plenty of years ahead of you yet). Btw I'm coming from the opposite end with 14 years OF commercial programming experience - hmm been a long time since I was 14 :)

Bad advice for now. Focus, focus, focus. Yes, eventually learn as many as you can/need. For now though, focus your efforts as much as possible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!