Marketing your game

Started by
3 comments, last by DerekL 9 years, 1 month ago

When should a company begin to market their game?

In case the game is in the early stages of development, what can be posted in social media such as Facebook and Tweeter in order to maintain updates 3-4 days per week?

I made a list of possible content that a post or a Tweet can have:

Updates of game scenery, new characters with bio
Question about previous updates, feedback
Game development such as artwork and sometimes game trailer, soundtrack
Photos of people from the develop team working
Games such as guessing on an image of a future update of the game.
Competitions with other social media such as Snapchat or anything related to Reddit or Hashtag in Tweeter
Discuss about game events.
Advertisement

It will depend on the game and the group making it.

Frequent communication with your customers is good, especially when coupled with frequent additions and updates.

Exactly how frequently, exactly what to include, exactly where to post, those are unique to every project.

If you are making a press release 3-4 times per week you better be putting out significant new content at least weekly. That level of communication is spamming pretty hard, and even customers who want to know about your updates likely don't want that much information.

I think the minute you start making the game, you should start marketing it.

Don't go toooooo crazy, but start building your social media following and have a website so you can start collecting emails. Blogs are good too, but are time consuming so it may not work for a team of two or three. Once you get some emails, you can start emailing them when there are updates. I would say once every couple of months is sufficient...until you are almost ready to release and then I would make it once a month.

Encouraging your following to give you feedback during the development process is also becoming more popular and is a good way to keep your audience involved and engaged.

Another thing I would suggest is, IF POSSIBLE, you should really try to have one person who is only responsible for marketing...it takes a lot of time and is just as important to the success of the game as the development process. If you can't, then the task should be split among the team members to make time every day for marketing only.

That's my two cents......

Whether you know how to code or not, with Spark Game Engine all you need is the idea!

Follow me on Twitter

Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Like on Facebook

Check us out on Pinterest

When should a company begin to market their game?

In case the game is in the early stages of development, what can be posted in social media such as Facebook and Tweeter in order to maintain updates 3-4 days per week?

I made a list of possible content that a post or a Tweet can have:

Updates of game scenery, new characters with bio
Question about previous updates, feedback
Game development such as artwork and sometimes game trailer, soundtrack
Photos of people from the develop team working
Games such as guessing on an image of a future update of the game.
Competitions with other social media such as Snapchat or anything related to Reddit or Hashtag in Tweeter
Discuss about game events.

There's no set formula here. It's not like 'insert random game, apply these 20 steps, profit from sales'.

Each game should have a well tailored strategy, and ideally no strategy at all: if you have something to talk about (hopefully) mention it.

My general advice however is to have a personal twitter account as early as possible (not bearing the game's name mind you, it needs to be an actual person sharing opinions, not just news about their upcoming title).

Take a look at the marketing guide at pixel prospector.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-marketing-guide-for-game-developers/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement