Efficient way to erase an element from std::vector

Started by
21 comments, last by SmkViper 9 years, 2 months ago

Wouldn't it be enough to test for std::is_trivially_copyable? Requiring the whole more restrictive POD-property seems unnecessary.

Yep. I forgot that C++'s definition of POD is now stupidly restrictive. I usually use "POD" to mean "memcpy-safe", which apparently C++ calls "trivially copyable" now sad.png

I would even say is_trivially_destructible. Though I'm not entirely sure on that one, and actually for performance-reasons I don't think it can even be determined from such traits, as it would depend on their internals. But for the general complexity it's interesting.

As far as I see it, swap is always better than copy/assign (whether or not trivially) when there are parts of the object that need to be destructed, as otherwise any non-trivial original contents of [index] would be destructed before replaced with their new values from back(), and then back() would be destructed at some point (though it could of course at times be optimized out to a copy in the assignment, but worst-case).

When swapping out the objects internals, no potential extra destruction can take place.

However, there is another case where swap is worse, which is when there is no destructor so the object removed at back() never needs to be destructed. At that time it is completely unnecessary to swap the contents instead of just copying them (if copying would be faster, which may or may not be the case of course). For a trivially copyable object it's obvious, one memcpy instead of swapping.

What I was originally wondering was whether there is any chance the compiler can assume that the pop_back() means the memory at back() is undefined and therefore optimize away the swap and replace with a memcpy when appropriate. If destruction of an object means that the contents of the memory that object occupied is undefined afterwards it could theoretically.. and perhaps even realistically in simple inlined cases like this. I'm not sure that is actually a rule though?

Advertisement
I would disagree. If an object fulfills a theoretical std::is_trivially_destructable but not std::is_trivially_copyable it has non-trivial copy and/or move semantics without a non-trivial destructor. That's a classic violation of the Rule of Three (or the newer C++11-counterparts) and it should probably only fulfill std::is_probably_broken.

template<typename ContainerType>
void SwapAndPopAtIndex(ContainerType & container, size_t index)
{
    if (index + 1 != container.size())//#####################
        std::swap(container[index], container.back());
    container.pop_back();
}

Could you just remove the highlighted line, assuming that if an item is expensive to swap, it will contain it's own early-out inside a if-swapping-this-with-this test?

One would hope, but in practice the reality is that if you're writing a general purpose library chances are someone is going to do something stupid with it (such as having an expensive to copy object with no early out on the copy side). Better to be safe than sorry.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

That's a classic violation of the Rule of Three (or the newer C++11-counterparts) and it should probably only fulfill std::is_probably_broken.

Not always. The rule of three says if you have one, you probably should have all three. There are absolutely valid cases for having one-or-more, but not all.

For example, if all the members of your class leverage RAII, there's no need to explicit define a destructor, even if you needed to define a copy constructor or assignment operator (or delete one of the same) because one of the members was a reference or const.

I remember from some C++ talks that the std::map or std::unordered_map might be suitable aswell.

std::remove_if(mymap.begin(), mymap.end(), [](std::pair<stuff1, stuff2> &mypair){
	return mypair.first->Status > 1;
});

zX07TZR.png

**EDIT:

Another approach I am testing is to iterate over the vector and remove elements on a condition, in this example an std::future:

std::vector<std::future<DWORD>> Futures;

for (auto it = Futures.begin(); it != Futures.end() ; )
{
	if (it->wait_for(std::chrono::seconds(0)) == std::future_status::ready)
	{
		std::swap(*it, Futures.back());
		Futures.pop_back();
	} else {
		it++;
	}
}

[background=#fafbfc]That's a classic violation of the Rule of Three (or the newer C++11-counterparts) and it should probably only fulfill std::is_probably_broken.[/background]

Not always. The rule of three says if you have one, you probably should have all three. There are absolutely valid cases for having one-or-more, but not all.

For example, if all the members of your class leverage RAII, there's no need to explicit define a destructor, even if you needed to define a copy constructor or assignment operator (or delete one of the same) because one of the members was a reference or const.

I find it difficult to agree with this statement, probably because I have spent at least one day too much debugging code where the root cause turned out to be a Rule of Three violation after a lot of suffering. I would say in practically all cases where a contained RAII resource is present you do not need to specify any of the three (because the compiler will automatically generate them based on what is already defined or not defined for the RAII resource).

Also, if there is a RAII resource inside the class then it's not going to have a trivial destructor, then the class which contains it won't have that either and my statements were in the larger context of whether a std::is_trivially_destructable would have a real use. I maintain 'no' on that count.
With a bit of creativity I'm sure one could cobble together an actual use case for going against the Rule of Three. But I also believe those are so rare it should lead to more than normal reflection about if it's really okay.

The fact that it does not handle the case of desiring to remove the last element means this is less than a robust solution, as you end up having to write a conditional for every usage...

Oops, that's a flaw. I meant to avoid the swap, but I still want the pop, if the index is the last one.

What you're doing with swap/pop_back is the general pattern, however it isn't stable (which means the order of the objects in the vector are changed relative to one another, which sometimes might cause you trouble). If you don't need the vector to be stable, this is fine.

If you need stability, then you either have to remove the element and allow the vector to compact itself -- or -- you can use the mark-and-sweep pattern, where you mark the element as inactive but leave it in place, and then you sweep through at a more convenient time such as between frame processing. During the sweep you can use std::remove_if with a predicate that looks at the inactive flag. During processing you'll need to check the state of the element unless you know you haven't made anything inactive since the last sweep.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I'm getting Debug Assertion Failed! on the vector<std::future<DWORD>> pop!

for (auto it = Futures.begin(); it != Futures.end() ; )
{
	if (it->wait_for(std::chrono::seconds(0)) == std::future_status::ready)
	{
		std::swap(*it, Futures.back());
		Futures.pop_back();              // Assertion Failed!
	} else {
		it++;
	}
}

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCP120D.dll
File: c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 12.0\vc\include\vector
Line: 240
Expression: vector iterators incompatible

What is going on?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/62340/does-pop-back-really-invalidate-all-iterators-on-an-stdvector

However, in your code example, it can invalidate it when it is pointing to the last element and the value is below 10. In which case Visual Studio debug STL will mark iterator as invalidated, and further check for it not being equal to end() will show an assert.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement