Programming

Started by
28 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 2 months ago

Hi, I'm not exactly the best at programmer and that's really why I'm here posting this. I've always wanted to get involved in Programming, specifically to make my own game, which is why I'm in the Game Programming section posting this. I'm currently beginning a project of my own, it involves creating a game. I've done most of the Creative Writing and Design for it and have several people who are skilled at animations and graphics helping me out along with someone making music(obviously after the game is built), but I really don't have anyone to do the Programming for it.

With what I mentioned above, I want to learn programming to help make this game, now it's a really complex game, probably one of the most complex games someone could probably try to built, essentially it involves a virtual world, but not just a 2D world, it's essentially 2.5D or even considered 3D with actually biomes and resources. If you want more details on it, I have a post in the Game Writing section under Creative in the forums.

I was wondering if any of you skilled programmers or even fairly newbish programmers know of great resources and places to learn how to program skillfully, I'm not really looking to spend money on learning to program especially when I'm not the wealthiest of persons. I know it is going to take a lot of time to learn how to program correctly. I've already used Codecademy a bit, and know some basics about JavaScript and HTML/CSS, but I was just wondering if you guys knew some better or other sources for learning. That is all.

Thank you for reading all of that, and I know to some of you it was probably just a waste of space in this forums tab, but eh, it's whatever.

Advertisement

I don’t have advice on resources for learning. I have practical advice for what you actually need to know for your current situation.

Drop your project for your own sake and for the sake of the others working with you. It is not fair to them that their hard work go to waste just because their programmer (you) has no clue how to program but just decided to jump into the deep end foolishly thinking he could learn to fly before learning to walk.

When you drop such a nonsense first-time project and join us back here in the real world, your next steps are:
#1: Code a small game, which could even be just text-based.
#2: Code a slightly bigger game.
#3: Code a clone of a real game, such as Tetris.
#4: Clone a slightly bigger game (Super Mario Bros.) or a similar-sized game with totally different gameplay (Space Invaders).
#5: Keep making bigger and bigger projects for the next 5 years.

The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit.

Is shit code the way you plan to execute your big amazing super-ultra fantasy project?

When I was excited about my super projects when I was a kid, I literally felt guilty thinking about trying to do them given my experience and skill level. I literally cared about them, so I waited until I was good enough.
If you actually care about whatever game you want to make, don’t program it as a newbie.

And as I already said, others are depending on you as well, so you have no right to be selfish. At least if I had failed at my own projects I would only be disappointing myself, but when I joined a team and the first task they gave me was something I simply could not yet handle, I didn’t joke around asking, “How do I learn super-quickly?”, I simply left the team, for their sake.

Be responsible. Learn correctly and tackle large projects years later when you are able.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I can't really give you specific resources because I have no idea which programming language you are coding your game with, but I learned most of my programming skills on YouTube and on various programming forums such as this one. I set out to make a simple game such as Pong, it sounds cliche but it's true. You should start off with a very simple game to get your feet wet and work your way up to more and more complex games. This is where a forum with an active community comes in. In my opinion it is really really important to have somewhere you can go to ask questions. I am by no means an expert at programming, but I have done quite a bit of it and I still ask questions daily. If you have a very generic question than Google is also a good resource to get quick answers to your problems. All and all though, I simply learned by doing and asking questions.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear, seeing L. Spiro 's comment, I'm not the programmer for this game, I simply planned the entire game and have basically everything written down for it, like research towards stuff that will be inside the game, information, what will be in the game, game mechanics that should be implemented, realistic things like pollution and such, how people calculate certain things in real life, resources, biomes, basically everything that a Writer for a game is suppose to do. I just felt, that learning how to program would be cool. I only suggested that I learn programing because I really don't have anyone at the moment to program. I could surely find someone if I really threw myself out there, but I really only have talked to people I've known for a long time because I trust them, I'd rather not rely on someone I don't trust. I just figured if I learned how to program I could help. That is all, that's for your guys responses.

I don't really plan on posting this game for money or for fame, me and my friends really just wanted a game for ourselves to play, seeing how there isn't really a game that grants us everything we desire, so we figured, why not have fun making something of our own to enjoy and for ourselves instead of playing pointless games on the internet that don't offer us everything we want.

Being a side programmer is another story when it comes to dropping the project or not.

As long as there is a sturdy main programmer, you could do UI things etc. while you learn real programming.

But the advice on how to learn programming remains constant. You still need to start with small projects and work your way up.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I know of two video series which teaches game/engine development which i can recommend:

Drop your project for your own sake and for the sake of the others working with you. It is not fair to them that their hard work go to waste just because their programmer (you) has no clue how to program but just decided to jump into the deep end foolishly thinking he could learn to fly before learning to walk.

But the advice on how to learn programming remains constant. You still need to start with small projects and work your way up.

Listen to her. She knows what she's talking about.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Being a side programmer is another story when it comes to dropping the project or not.

As long as there is a sturdy main programmer, you could do UI things etc. while you learn real programming.

L. Spiro

Spiro speaks the truth. I will tell you from experience that this will not work out in the long run. A few years back I decided I wanted a hobby project away from my work projects. I joined a team that sounds very similar to yours. At the time I wasn't informed that I would be the only programmer that could program. Needless to say, I wasn't happy when the entire project got canned about a month and a half later and I had dedicated some serious effort into getting stuff off the ground. Even as a side programmer, not knowing how to program just hurts things in general. As Spiro mentioned, you have got to learn how to walk before you run. Can the project so people don't waste their time, pick a programming language, start off small.

Byte

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Listen to her. She knows what she's talking about.

lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement