Tips to work in the US

Started by
9 comments, last by bsr2000 9 years, 2 months ago

Hello!

I'm currently looking for a job (senior level designer) for almost a year, and most of the game companies never replied.
I'm from Canada, I have no university education, but I have more than 10+ years of experience in the video game industry. I worked on some major AAA's and on more than 20 projects overall. Could I work in the US or it is too complicated for HRs to hire me?
(Like you see, my english is not perfect - it's not my first language). Any tips? thanks! biggrin.png

Advertisement

Look at how hard it is to get a work visa. From what I know you should be fine.

- No criminal record ( this includes anything )
- Bachelors degree - or 4+ years of experience in your field.
- You have to make the company want you, maybe get some advice on your cv

Getting a green card for people can be a hassle sometimes though and its usually easier to hire someone locally. So make sure you shine through the other applicants. Have you maybe looked at going through a recruiter if you want to work in the states so bad.

1. Could I work in the US
2. or it is too complicated for HRs to hire me?

1. Yes.
2. Yes. Unless (as Derek said) a company really wants you badly enough. Might be the easiest thing to have a job in Canada for a company that has one or more US studios (or its head office in the US), become an indispensable employee, and request a transfer to the US.
http://sloperama.com/advice/m72.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are several different visa types that apply.

Thanks to NAFTA and several other treaties, it is possible for some jobs to get your work visa at your nearest Port of Entry, requiring only a passport and a job offer letter. There are TN, L1, J1, H1-B, and other visa types you may be able to get depending on factors. For example you might be able to get a job at a game school and get a teaching J-1 visa.

The willingness of an employer to do the paperwork is key. Some employers are willing to do a lot of paperwork, some are not. All visas, even the relatively simple TN visa, require some paperwork from the company.

There seems to be a trend at the moment with US employers in the tech industry recruiting remotely. I've had three requests this week from US recruiters looking for mobile developers based in the UK to work remotely for US firms.

Maybe you could quailfy for a "H-1B visa"

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b.htm

Edit:

Sorry, Frob had already posted it >,<

thanks for all your tips!

It's really appreciated biggrin.png

@gambo: the problem with the H-1B visa is that it take 6 months before I can work with it.. (companies will never do that, way too long)

"Individuals are not able to apply for an H1B visa to allow them to work in the US. The employer must petition for entry of the employee."

"Employers can apply as soon as April 2, 2012 for the FY 2013 cap, but the beneficiary cannot start work until October 1, 2012."

French-Speaking Level Designer?

My reasoning is that they're likely to find better candidates locally. That being said, a few of my former colleagues from Quebec and Montreal are now in various studios in the US (including Activision Blizzard namely) so it's not impossible, even for French (I'm assuming this is your first language as you have stated you were from Canada?).

French-Speaking Level Designer?
Yes !

My reasoning is that they're likely to find better candidates locally. That being said, a few of my former colleagues from Quebec and Montreal are now in various studios in the US (including Activision Blizzard namely) so it's not impossible, even for French (I'm assuming this is your first language as you have stated you were from Canada?).
Yes, that's what I thought! tongue.png

Hopefully that didn't stop you from trying though :)

I was recently hailed from abroad for an interview at a place I didn't even know of. You never know when someone might need someone with your more "specific skills".

They don't necessarily need a Senior Level Designer, they might need one with experience with a very specific gameplay (say, Action-Adventure, or side-scroller, etc.) which you might turn out to be.

Try to shine your unique talents within your field and see if it garners some interest?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement