• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
polyfrag

Comparison of STL list performance

This topic is 1258 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why is STL list so much faster in all ways than custom list implementation in MSVS 2012 for a thousand iterations? What tricks can be used in C90 to make it as fast? Is a significant boost in performance possible with C90?

Advertisement

I'm confused by the question. What does C90 have to do with STL (which is a C++ thing)?

And what STL list are you talking about that's different than MSVS 2012's list implementation (that's an STL list too, but maybe different than what you're comparing too).

You'll have to give more details if you want an answer.

I meant custom linked list implementation in C90. Considering switching to c90 if I can get better performance in all cases. I'll post the comparison code when I get to my computer.

To start with, GetTickCount has poor resolution. Use QueryPerformanceCounter instead when you're making performance measurements.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!