Sign in to follow this  
Alexsfly

Mobile CCG Project

It's a little project I have on my own, I'm a big fan of the genre and I think I have a great idea for a game. 

I know this is the kind that is a costly project with all the artists involved, the balance of the game and the resources needed to run events, and just the tons of things I'm not even aware of. I'm really realistic with this game, I know I can't make it alone, but it's just so fun to design it in a way I think is perfect. I played so many of those games and I think I have an extremely good vision of how it should work. I know what works with the kind of ccg i want to create, what kind of economy I want to create.

This is just a project I'm putting down on paper, I draw the interface for a bunch of menus, I have a lore a great universe and races/clans (each assigned a unique combination of 2 bonus stats, friendly/enemy race also fairly distributed, both according to the lore) , a unique stat system, etc. It's starting to take form and I'm currently building the combat system, creating events and trying to set the game economy.

My goal is to be able to put the whole game on paper, like the basics and establish the games mechanics, gameplay, approximate ratios for stats/items/cards/clans/etcs. Basically I want to take it to the point where you only need to program it, create the cards and taste the values, the drops, the stats, etc. 

Do you have any tips to help me in my new hobby? Or do you know any website that could help me? 

Is there any software I could use to calculate stats or ratios? Like something to help me figure out, how stats should work with race bonus, equipement, event bonus? Otherwise I'll just set up a excel page, but I was wondering if there was anything made to do that. 

Also how complex can fights algorithms be for fluid event fights? I know nothing about programming but I want to know how much stuff I can add when I design the battle system. If a stat is modified by gear, abilities, event, clan, race bonus, random ratio, special ratio, crit ratio, etc. Like is there a way for me to know how heavy it is if I try to sketch some battle algorithms? Or how many actions for a fights, to figure out the number of cards and turns I can put to a fight?

Sorry for the long post and my bad English, but I would appreciate any help, or just any informations on where to look! :)

It sounds like an ambitious project, but it could be fun.

Google finds several CCG game engines on mobile, you might try starting with those.

These games are usually pretty straightforward if you find an engine that closely matches your general style. Artwork is the biggest difficulty for most people. Balancing will likely be hard after that, but that's part of your design.

Designing the mechanics is often just a numbers game with CCG engines, filling in some data tables that a card affects certain fields and triggers for when a field crosses thresholds. Names in these engines are generally adjustable, internally it is just a row of data. 

For example, a CCG engine may let you define all kinds of tables.  You might set up one kind of table for type of card, fill it in 'creature', 'spell', 'artifact', or whatever you want. You might configure a large number of checklists for subtype, perhaps elf or goblin or master/boss, or other values that fit your game. Then you build data table entries for each card, nicer engines you just use dropdowns to fill in the blanks.  A card might be that it is of some type named "artifact", that it affects a single card of type "creature", modifies an entry called "strength" with a value "+1". Another card might have a target of goblin, or an effect of single opponent, or an effect of all opponents, or an effect of all players, and so on. You might have two or three or more lines of effects, filling in what it targets and what gets modified. 

Just to give a general idea of how the game would run or what kind of CCG it is, it's not a Magic The Gathering style game, battles are automatically played. Players will have no actions to do during fights, fight order will be dependent on the speed stat. When the fight starts, all stats will need to be calculated according to the bonuses or I don't know if it can already be calculated in your Team management menu and it takes that value for the fights calculations. Something like Base Stat X Position Bonus X Ally Bonus X Collection Bonus X Event Bonus X Clan Bonus X ETC. There's this layer of stat modifications, there's also Buff/debuff and armor reduction before it affects hp.

The core of this game are fast paced events and team management. Since it's not a strategy game where you play your cards, I really want to put emphasis on the strategy behind the team management menu. I want to give the player a wide range of bonus and interactions between cards, races, their positions, itemization, etc.This way, the player can keep collecting cards and have fun experimenting with a bunch of team formations. 

I know it is an ambitious project, I keep in mind it will most likely never make it out of my notebook. But like I said I'm having a blast just thinking the game! I might start soon to imagine cards, make basic sketches/description, skill set ups, lore. But yeah the artworks is a big thing, it must be really expensive to hire the artists. For the balancing, it will just take so much time, but the more values/bonus/etc I add, the more complex it is to have a balanced. Just for card packs drops, I will need to run simulation where I open tons of packs and see what it gives me. To see what the drop rates should be for X amount of in game currency, then balance that free2play/pay2win and make it able to generate revenues. 

Should I start looking for an Engine right now even at this stage of the design? I know roughly the main aspects of the game and knowing the engine I would use would help me build the game around the limitations or possibilities the engine gives.

Also if I end up with a solid game on paper, is there any way to find a mobile game studio to make it happen? If I was them and someone would come to me with a great idea, and the only thing left to do is to use my resources to build it and make money on it, well I would go for it. But I never been in this industry, so I have no idea how it works out.

And how could I try to sell my project to studios? I don't want to go around and show my game, find no one is interested and oh curiously my unique game mechanics are in a new game couple of months later.

I know there must be tons of kids coming on your forum to talk about their crazy idea for their own game, and you guys must be tired to answer them. Even if my thread might look like one of those, you still answered. I really appreciate that you took the time to try to help me, it means a lot. 

Just to give a general idea of how the game would run ...

I'm pretty sure some of the existing engines could handle that design either out of the box or with very little modification.

I know it is an ambitious project, I keep in mind it will most likely never make it out of my notebook. But like I said I'm having a blast just thinking the game! I might start soon to ...

That is the funnest part of hobby games. You can design lots of fun things, and since you don't need to make it work perfectly against players who will take advantage of quirks and inconsistencies, it can be fun. Enjoy it.

Should I start looking for an Engine right now even at this stage of the design? I know roughly the main aspects of the game and knowing the engine I would use would help me build the game around the limitations or possibilities the engine gives.

If you are planning on actually making it into a computer game, then yes, find an engine early that closely matches your ideas, so you can the engine can get along well in the longer term. You'll have ideas, the engine will naturally fit some of them, others that don't fit the engine can fall by the wayside.

Also if I end up with a solid game on paper, is there any way to find a mobile game studio to make it happen?

Yes, but it will be expensive. Unless you have a quarter million, half million, or more to throw at it, you won't be able to afford a professional studio.

I know there must be tons of kids coming on your forum to talk about their crazy idea for their own game, and you guys must be tired to answer them. Even if my thread might look like one of those, you still answered. I really appreciate that you took the time to try to help me, it means a lot.

You might benefit from the 'business and law' forum FAQ as well.

That is the funnest part of hobby games. You can design lots of fun things, and since you don't need to make it work perfectly against players who will take advantage of quirks and inconsistencies, it can be fun. Enjoy it.

I played this kind of games for years and I acquired a good amount of experience, I've been a competitive player, and I have a great knowledge of how to abuse any flaw there might be to boost my character. I've seen and used a lot of them, and with all this experience, I'm actually trying to build the game in a way it can't really be abused. I know it's hard to achieve, but it's worth trying!

For exemple there would be no market, EVER. I know people really like that feature and often resquest it on game forums as a game upgrade, but the smurfing is such a pain a pain in the ***. To compensate for not having access to cards in a market  Im creating an economy where the player gets a tons of cards and all cards have many uses, flood them with cards but keep them meaningful. I keep in mind the "stall farming", points in the game where you can just stay there and farm rewards in events (by limiting your lvling up or any "upgrade" or point in the story). And much more.

Yes, but it will be expensive. Unless you have a quarter million, half million, or more to throw at it, you won't be able to afford a professional studio.

I don't want to produce the game myself. I would like to go to mobile game producers (I don't know how to exactly refer to them) and show a game with a solid structure already (Interface, combat mechanics, economy, events, lore, etc.). I want to present them a project that is ready to go, a game that is already built to be appealing, with a great universe and unique features. 

----

But yeah I'll go make a thread in the Business and law section. If I can find help on what to do with my idea and how to do it, it's probably there. Thanks a lot! :)