• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spek

ShadowMapping in the year 2015?

This topic is 1236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

Each time when not taking attention, the 3D-rendering world has been drastically changed, so I wondered what the current / common way of shadowmapping is.

VSM, ESM, EVSM (all derivatives of SM) are being used in current titles I believe.

Some engines like Unity™ (saw in one forum one day) still prefer constantly varying from methods such VSM to PCF with a bunch of blur filters or HW accelerated filters (but I don't know why).

The future of rendering looks like it is path tracing (see here), and until there it will be a lot of possibilities regarding to shadow casting.

It's semi-on topic, so I'm gonna ask the question here: A couple months ago the I saw one or two fresh blog posts about someone who experimented with ray traced shadows on a fairly complex scene (couple million polys). I can't find the blog post anymore. The scene in question was some kind of small village/city surrounded by castle walls.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about and could link me to it? 

Edited by agleed

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of information ... but my head wasn't able to process it today due a little hang-over :p  Tomorrow I'll try again hehe.

Camera-Space-ShadowMapping sounds really interesting, and the movie on the webpage looks correct to me. But has it been really applied these days (I don't see it in the Crysis or Warfare papers for example)? I guess there are some "catches"? In my case, lighting is typically indoor. No large distances, but quite a lot local lights. And something I forgot to mention, lighting is often done in background passes as well (for water mirrors, realtime ambient kind of stuff, updating cubeMaps, ...). Currently these background passes also use the same shadowMap(atlas) but simplified techniques (no soft edges) to get a bit extra speed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!