Sign in to follow this  
Gilad Darmon

type of Game question - Jones in the fast lane

Since I'm doing some research, I need to know what type of game is "Jones in the fast lane"?
here is a lync.

by type of game I refer to MMO, RPG, platformer and so on...
I know it is called life simulation game... but that doesn't help me much

i'm new to game development, and would like to develop something like it.
I have experience in programming, and looked into unity3D and corona SDK for 2D gaming, However I have no background in graphics(sprites). 

I need to choose the technology I will use in order to create such a game, so if you need to build a 2D game like Jones today, which 2D engine will you choose and how will you create the art work for it?
Edited by Gilad Darmon

1. I need to know what type of game is "Jones in the fast lane"?
2. I need to choose the technology I will use in order to create such a game, so if you need to build a 2D game like Jones today, which 2D engine will you choose
3. and how will you create the art work for it?

1. That isn't really a Game Design question, so I'm moving this thread. Question #1 is more of a marketing/business question.
2. That's a technology question (again: not a Game Design question). For Beginners is probably the best forum for this.
3. Ask that one in the Visual Arts forum.

Loved that game back in the day.

If I had to file it in one place, I'd call it "board game" genre.  I'd also consider putting it under "life simulation" genre.

As for this part:

I need to choose the technology I will use in order to create such a game, so if you need to build a 2D game like Jones today, which 2D engine will you choose and how will you create the art work for it?

It is very much a 2D game, and any 2D engine you are comfortable with could likely handle the game easily.  You've got a big static board, a track where your marble overlay, moves and a tiny central window for some UI elements.

I've always considered Jones In The Fast Lane to be a simulation game (a life sim in particular).  Unfortunately, the genre is extremely poorly defined.  Even a "Life Sim" can range anywhere from Kudos to Spore, depending on your perspective.

As frob says, the technical requirements to make something like it are very low -- any 2D engine would suffice.