Moonman -- a Spelunky/Terraria hybrid, 3 years in development

Started by
-1 comments, last by Kuladus 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys, I can't believe I registered here 13 years ago! I was just a whipper-snapper then, and just starting my gamedev journey. Fast forward 13 years and I'm close to finishing my first commerical PC game! smile.png

The game is called Moonman and is a blend of short procedural games like Spelunky and Binding of Isaac with longer sandbox games like Terraria. You can build, harvest tiles, create items and armour from resources, talk to NPCs, and generally just explore the different regions in the world, looking for seven moon fragments to finish the game. Here are some videos:

arrows2.gif

The worlds are procedurally generated and will contain forests, towns, caves, dungeons, islands, and many interesting alien landscapes. My background is in procedural generation (I have a PhD in the area) and so I hope to be able to take the procgen in the game much further than what appears in other procedural platformers. An average play length is going to be about 30 minutes to an hour, and you can adjust the game generation settings to get larger worlds, more difficult worlds, or peculiar kinds of worlds (e.g., one where it constantly rains fire).
The game has a neat fluid and fire simulation system, a solid physics-basis (built on Box2D), simple stylised graphics, lots of action and combat, strange landscapes and creatures, heaps of different weapons, armour and items, and has just been Greenlit and so will appear on Steam later this year.
I have 10 days left on a Kickstarter campaign that I launched, to help me finish the game. You can get alpha access to Moonman by backing the project, and there are other rewards too, such as having your name etched on a tombstone in the game. I'd love if you could check out the page and back the project smile.png
I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the game or development. It's mostly C++ (70k LOC) in a custom-built engine, and uses SFML, Box2D, Boost, and a couple of other libraries. I've done most of the art myself. I have a 3 year long development log if you're interested in all the technical details and the evolution of the game. You can follow me on Twitter to hear more about the game: [twitter]eigenbom[/twitter].
croc_shoot2.gif
SCREENSHOT6.png
SCREENSHOT4.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement