Release mode executable size...

Started by
6 comments, last by Viscous-Flow 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Is a ~420kb executable that was compiled in release mode normal? The program is 1800 lines though... Do you think it would be useful to implement dll''s? or is that not really necessary until the executable gets over a few megabytes? Thanks!
Advertisement
implementing dlls has more to do with whether or not you can group your functions into logical libraries, rather than the size of the executable. for instance, you may want to make a dll for sound, another for graphics. for the most part though, a game of 1800 lines of code would have no need of external libraries, for it''s a small program.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
something seems wrong here, are you including loads of resources (text,bmps,menus,dialogs) into the exe? because the current demo i am working on is a bit over 5000 lines of code and still only 220 KB excutable when compiled as release code. I bet you have some large library linked staticly. What does the program do?

- groof
I figured it out, thanks!
How? When you figure things out, post here, so we can all share the wisdom!
maybe he includes libraries!
maybe he includes libraries!
I had a *.bmp that was rather large, and when I took it out of my resources the file size went down to about 60kb.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement