Occasionaly slow OpenGL?!?

Started by
3 comments, last by Viscous-Flow 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi, Every so often (probably once every few days) when I run an OpenGL application the program's frame rate drops down to like 2fps; it usually runs at 150fps (those are my OpenGL apps). Also, the textures get this strange black line that goes from the top left to the bottom right. This happens in Half-Life as well (when run in OpenGL mode). This is fixed by simply rebooting the machine. I have reason to believe that it doesn't happen with DirectX based applications since Half-Life (when run in DX mode) and Starcraft (which uses only DX (directDraw I believe)) run smoothly. EDIT: When the OpenGL programs are acting up. It generally happens when the computer has been on for more than a few hours (but I reboot my machine daily unless Windo$e crashes). I don't think it has to do with memory since the memory when this happens is over 60% (I have 256mb). I don't think this is my OpenGL programs since professional games have the same problem, but it does happen on my apps as well. This sure is strange; any help would be appreciated! EDIT: System specs: 733mhz TNT Vanta AGP Overclocked to Core Clock freq 125mhz Memory clock freq 160mhz 256mb Ram EDIT: Restoring video card frequencies to what they were when I got it doesn't help either. Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 10, 2001 2:26:05 AM Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 10, 2001 2:27:00 AM Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 10, 2001 2:29:41 AM Edited by - Viscous-Flow on November 10, 2001 2:31:27 AM
Advertisement
That is almost certainly a driver problem. If you''re using the newest drivers, downgrade, if you''re using old drivers upgrade. If none of that helps, try using your video card with another OS/Tower (that may be more effort that it is worth). If it still happens, then it may have been a manufacturing flaw.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I have similar problems with my TNT card... what helps is reloading MSVC if I remember right (not sure thru) or reboot, as you said..., it''s pretty pissing off thru. You should try newer/older drivers
I haven''t tried any thru...

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/
With best regards, Mirek Czerwiñski
use a different os than win9x
Ya, I could probably believe the whole thing about the drivers Null and Void since I just upgraded the NVidia drivers about a few weeks ago, then all this stuff started happening.

I''ll try to find the older drivers, and see if that helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement