About Developer job in Germany

Started by
16 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I was contacted by a German Gamedev company from Hamburg about a position they have. I am still going the have all the steps (technical interview, tests etc) so it's a long way until any certainty but out of curiosity I wanted to know if there are any german developers (or foreigners living in Germany) here that could help me with what kind of benefits are commonly offered by German companies and maybe what range of salary I should be expecting (for a dev with 4-5 years of relevant experience)?

I have a decent job and my own place but I´ve been actively looking for a relocation out of my home country (Brazil) since it has become chaotic and unsafe over the last years so I am willing to sacrifice some of my comfort for those. So what could you tell me about the city itself (Hamburg) and the country (Germany). The general impression I have is that it´s a very nice place, safe and with a strong economy.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

The general impression I have is that it´s a very nice place, safe and with a strong economy.

I would sign this, thought the weather is often a mix of rainy/misty, almost the whole year sad.png.

what range of salary I should be expecting (for a dev with 4-5 years of relevant experience)?

This is really hard to tell, salary differs a lot between company, role and on negotiation. The game industry isn't as strong as other industries in germany. Salary as software developer could be as low as € 25k (no degree), on the other hand you could start with € 50k+ per year.

Taxes (~20-30%), insurrance(~8%), social costs(~10%) etc. will be around 30-50% commision.

Hamburg is one of the larger german cities and you will need to pay around € 9 per squaremeter for a rent + some additional costs, so renting a small apartment(~30squaremeters) will costs around € 350-400. Thought there's an university in hamburg, so you have good chances to join a shared apartment if you want to decrease the costs for an apartment.

what kind of benefits are commonly offered by German companies

For common employees the german law includes atleast 26 paid leave days, health insurrance, paid statutory holydays.

Hamburg is the biggest German seaport and I guess its one of the cities having more software development companies than other German towns.
I only visited Hamburg once and did not feel particularly unsafe. Compared to what I saw in TV of Brazil its a very safe place, but criminality is happening everywhere. Hamburg is even known for having prostitution and drug criminality, though I doubt its so much worse than other German cities.
Years ago the news was hundreds of policemen getting ordered to empty some abandoned houses in Hamburg where people lived illegally, as they couldn't afford renting something, and then fights happening to resist police, rocks getting thrown. Though as said that was long time ago.
I doubt German economy is particularly strong, though other countries have it worse and everyone sees their own problems more clearly than others.
I would sign this, thought the weather is often a mix of rainy/misty, almost the whole year

That´s good for a change. Down here it is desertic hot/sunny almost all year.

Well I do have a 4 year Computer Science degree but I don´t know if that´s valid over there. I hope it is.

... but criminality is happening everywhere

...and everyone sees their own problems more clearly than others.

I believe so too but down here things are getting out of control and there is nothing an individual can do. Except maybe buying a fortified vehicle and living in a fortress - options that some rich people are already doing! For me the option of moving to another country sounds better. Even other neighbor countries over here are in better shape than us: Uruguay and Chile to name a couple.

I believe so too but down here things are getting out of control and there is nothing an individual can do.

Sad to hear sad.png , statistically germany is one of the safest countries in the world, eg. according to wiki the homicite rate is

Brazil 25.2

USA 4.7

Germany 0.8

Well I do have a 4 year Computer Science degree but I don´t know if that´s valid over there. I hope it is.

Use this here to get a rough estimation of your degree:

Europe

There is no formal treaty between the Brazilian Ministry of Education and the European Union's Bologna process. The following are rough comparisons:

• the European First Cycle would correspond to the Brazilian undergraduate degrees of bacharelado, licenciatura, and tecnologia. The Brazilian "Bachelor’s degree" takes 3 to 6 years to complete,[11] which usually includes a written monograph or a final project; a European "Bachelor’s degree" can be completed in 3 years, after which many enroll in a 1 or 2-year-long "Master's degree" in the Bologna process. When comparing the former European national systems to the Brazilian system, the Brazilian "Bachelor’s degree" would be equivalent to the old German Diploma, the Italian Laurea, or the French "Magistère", "Mastère" or "Diplôme des Grandes Ecoles".
  • the Second Cycle in the Bologna process would correspond to the Brazilian Master's degree, which usually takes 1 to 2 years to complete [12] and a "lato sensu postgraduate" degree, which requires the minimum of 360 hours of instruction.
  • the Third Cycle in the Bologna process would be equivalent to the Brazilian Doctoral degree.

Eg I have the German Diploma which is more or less the common standard degree in computer science as software developer (for older software developers tongue.png ).

I wish you good luck smile.png

I honestly couldn't tell you as I have never even been to Germany. However I have been approached several times by recruiters from Wooga which is a german freemium games company. The salary on offer was 60k for an iOS front end developer with a bunch of additional perks such as they'd provide you with a laptop and smartphone of your choice plus free books from Amazon and I think there was some kind of cycle to work deal where they'd pay half the price towards a bike. The last time they contacted me was about 18 months ago so not sure what the deal is nowadays.

CJ_COIMBRA, on 11 Feb 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:

Use this here to get a rough estimation of your degree:

Europe

There is no formal treaty between the Brazilian Ministry of Education and the European Union's Bologna process. The following are rough comparisons:

the European First Cycle would correspond to the Brazilian undergraduate degrees of bacharelado, licenciatura, and tecnologia. The Brazilian "Bachelor’s degree" takes 3 to 6 years to complete,[11] which usually includes a written monograph or a final project; a European "Bachelor’s degree" can be completed in 3 years, after which many enroll in a 1 or 2-year-long "Master's degree" in the Bologna process. When comparing the former European national systems to the Brazilian system, the Brazilian "Bachelor’s degree" would be equivalent to the old German Diploma, the Italian Laurea, or the French "Magistère", "Mastère" or "Diplôme des Grandes Ecoles".
the Second Cycle in the Bologna process would correspond to the Brazilian Master's degree, which usually takes 1 to 2 years to complete [12] and a "lato sensu postgraduate" degree, which requires the minimum of 360 hours of instruction.
the Third Cycle in the Bologna process would be equivalent to the Brazilian Doctoral degree.

Eg I have the German Diploma which is more or less the common standard degree in computer science as software developer (for older software developers tongue.png ).

I know a German Master of Science is exactly equivalent to the old Diplom. There just did not exist a lower title before they changed it to Bachelor/Master. So the Brazilian Bachelor can not be at same time equivalent to a German Bachelor of Science and a German Diplom.
Anyway, I recently saw some statistics where employers would care much more for alignment with their firm philosophy, work ethics and other things than exactly what degree you got (as long as you have one).

Buster2000, was it 60k euros?

I doubt German economy is particularly strong, though other countries have it worse and everyone sees their own problems more clearly than others.

AFAIK Germany is the strongest economy in the EU at the moment. So stronger than UK, France and all the other countries in the EU (most of which do not count much anymore, especially the southern countries).

The only economies that might be challenging Germany on the continent are small countries like Switzerland, but then that is a much smaller economy partly shielded from the turmoils of the current Euro crisis, and no country of interest for a game dev.

So yeah, Germany is about as good as it gets in europe. If not stronger, economy is level with UK and France, and as far as I can tell from the news, Germany has still much less social problems than those countries (if we leave aside that Pegida stuff), and a strong and well respected government (Merkel might not look happy on the Pictures, but she seems to be one of the better politicians in europe at the moment).

Be advised that, if you have missed that in the news in Brazil, the Euro is still not very stable, there is still an economical crisis going on thanks to multiple factors in the EU (the new government of Greece not particularly helping here), and most probably you know about the stuff more east from here in the ukraine which directly affects europe and germany especially as europe was always quite happy buying russian gas for energy and heating, which of course is no longer as cheap and easy to get as it used to be.

Apart from that an the weather (Hamburg is quite north), I think it is quite a good place to live.

The only real pain is the language. German is quite hard to learn for foreigners... good thing is, as Europe has an incredible amount of different languages spoken in a rather small area, most big cities are usually multilingual, you shouldn't have any problem getting understood in these cities with english, maybe french, italien or spanish to a lesser degree.

Portuguese of course is rather a stretch, Portugal is a very small country at the western border of europe, so you will not find many people in other european countries going through the hassle of learning portuguese when they could instead learn french, english or german. Some spanish or italian speaking people might still understand you though...

Anyway, I recently saw some statistics where employers would care much more for alignment with their firm philosophy, work ethics and other things than exactly what degree you got (as long as you have one).

And then there is the fact that the more work expierience you have, the less a potential employer will be looking at your diploma. Someone with 5 years expierience in the field and a bachelors degree might actually be higher rated on the job market than somebody with a masters degree but no work expierience

Buster2000, was it 60k euros?

No they were quoting me in pounds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement