Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GrandMLee

OpenGL

I''ve sufficiently learned C++, and bought a couple of books about OpenGL. What I need to know is if there are some 3D engines available (free or relatively inexpensive) that I can obtain to start with. Are there good graphical interface programs that will allow me to set up levels, characters, and interfaces? In other words, I can program, but what now? I don’t want to code an engine.

Thanks,
Now all I need is to be able to find some documentation on those.
Which one of those is most useful? I don''t know anything about those. Actually, I don''t know where to start, even with an engine. Is there a software company that makes an application that will allow me to edit, add, update an engine using a graphical interface? In other words, is there a ''Game Maker 2000'' out there?

Does anyone else have suggestions?

I don''t mean to offend you but before using a 3D engine you should learn the basic OpenGL stuff (NeHe tutorials are great) because even if you actually don''t code the engine, you may need to change it a bit to fit your purposes and it''s really easier to use tools when you know how they work.

To create your objects you may use Milkshape3D. It''s a well known cheap modeler (you can find it easily with google).

I bought OpenGL Game Programming, and the frickin'' source code zip files are empty! When I use winzip to open them it says that winzip does not support the ability to open empty zip files. What should I do?

Guest Anonymous Poster
The CD was defective for the first printing. Check the book''s website and you''ll find instructions on ordering a replacement CD.

When I try to use the source code, I get this error:

c:\windows\desktop\source code\chapter1\chapter1.cpp(20) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ''gl\glut.h'': No such file or directory

I''ve added glut.h to the project, and even put a copy in the same folder. What am I doing wrong?

the error says "cannot open file ''gl\glut''". why would you put it in the same directory? it''s not looking in the same directory. it''s looking in the "gl" directory. hmmm.

The compiler is looking for glut.h in the \include\gl\ folder for your compiler. If you don''t know where that folder is, search for gl.h and that''ll tell you where the folder is exactly. There should be instructions with the glut distribution for installing it properly. You''ll have to install the glut header, library, and dll files for everything to work.

I noticed over on flipcode.com that there was a new release of glut reported on Nov. 9th. You can get the link to the new release and more info on glut.

Jason

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Xewren
Do you know of a sourcecode for animating a .ms3d model on OpenGl?

Xewren

No.. but there is a library for loading .3ds files... good for using 3dsmax and MS3D can export to 3dsmax too.

http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/