OpenGL

Started by
10 comments, last by GrandMLee 22 years, 5 months ago
I''ve sufficiently learned C++, and bought a couple of books about OpenGL. What I need to know is if there are some 3D engines available (free or relatively inexpensive) that I can obtain to start with. Are there good graphical interface programs that will allow me to set up levels, characters, and interfaces? In other words, I can program, but what now? I don’t want to code an engine.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
Advertisement
http://www.gamedownloadsonline.com/3dengines.shtml
Thanks,
Now all I need is to be able to find some documentation on those.
Which one of those is most useful? I don''t know anything about those. Actually, I don''t know where to start, even with an engine. Is there a software company that makes an application that will allow me to edit, add, update an engine using a graphical interface? In other words, is there a ''Game Maker 2000'' out there?

Does anyone else have suggestions?
I don''t mean to offend you but before using a 3D engine you should learn the basic OpenGL stuff (NeHe tutorials are great) because even if you actually don''t code the engine, you may need to change it a bit to fit your purposes and it''s really easier to use tools when you know how they work.

To create your objects you may use Milkshape3D. It''s a well known cheap modeler (you can find it easily with google).
Do you know of a sourcecode for animating a .ms3d model on OpenGl?

Xewren
I bought OpenGL Game Programming, and the frickin'' source code zip files are empty! When I use winzip to open them it says that winzip does not support the ability to open empty zip files. What should I do?
The CD was defective for the first printing. Check the book''s website and you''ll find instructions on ordering a replacement CD.
Thanks.
When I try to use the source code, I get this error:

c:\windows\desktop\source code\chapter1\chapter1.cpp(20) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ''gl\glut.h'': No such file or directory

I''ve added glut.h to the project, and even put a copy in the same folder. What am I doing wrong?
the error says "cannot open file ''gl\glut''". why would you put it in the same directory? it''s not looking in the same directory. it''s looking in the "gl" directory. hmmm.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement