who really a creative director is?

Started by
12 comments, last by JohnnyCode 8 years, 9 months ago

A "Creative Director" is someone who direct "Creative's", that is, people who have a work that falls under the (a bit arbitrary) collection of "being creative", that is, art, writing, music or design. All those things people for a brief time thought had something to do with the right hemisphere of the brain. (A misconception which have been pretty throughly disproven by now).

And a "Director" is a top level manager.

That's pretty much all there is to the title.

To me, it seems the importance of "Directors" in general are a bit overvalued, specially in the american culture.

Most of the actual work (and ideas) come from the team as a whole, and all good managers know that...

^^^ that.

In my personal experience, most companies don't have a creative director, and instead make do just fine with 'only' an art director, lead designer and a producer doing that work.

The companies I've worked at who did have a creative director, it was an executive-level role, where that person was a major shareholder, and thus had the power to bestow the title upon themselves...
I.E. The dream job of all the newbies here who want to be an "ideas guy" and critic, with all the power but no responsibility.
Advertisement
What's really fun is when the Creative Director stands behind you *as you work* to make sure you're making what they want.

/sarcasm

The companies I've worked at who did have a creative director, it was an executive-level role, where that person was a major shareholder, and thus had the power to bestow the title upon themselves...
I.E. The dream job of all the newbies here who want to be an "ideas guy" and critic, with all the power but no responsibility.

I think the Creative Director can play a role on larger scale productions where it is very hard to have a 360 outlook of everything. On these projects, Design and Art directors have their hands full with more down-to-earth challenges, leaving the greater vision to this position, and I tend to agree that such a vision can alter the quality of the end-product sometimes significantly. Of course, I've seen it go the other way around as well (particularly at smaller studios with relatively inexperienced Creative Directors that really didn't know what to do, and weren't actually needed, but ended up taking a big chunk of a budget that could've otherwise been turned into actual value).

Creative Director in most shorten description would be Quality Assurance from the very beginning of the creative proccess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement