Godot Game Engine tutorial series

Started by
18 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 8 years, 6 months ago

First off, if you've never heard of it, the Godot Engine is a cross platform, open source C++ based, Unity-esque game engine that runs on Mac, Windows and LInux and targets those plus iOS, Android and more. For an overview of the engine you can start here.

... anyways, one of the major downsides is the lack of documentation, so I've set about creating a tutorial series. Starting from day one this series includes both video and text tutorials.

The series table of contents is available right here. Right now the series covers graphics, audio, input, life cycle, UI and more. Eventually I hope to cover all aspects of Godot development. So expect more tutorials soon. Also, for each video tutorial, keep in mind the video on YouTube is available in 1080p, while the embedded version is much lower resolution.

If you've never checked it out and want to try a game engine with a full suite of tools included, be sure to give it a shot, it may surprise you. Of course, free and open source is always nice!

Advertisement

Added a new part on Handling multiple scenes and global game data, pretty critical stuff and probably something I should have covered earlier. Video coming soon.

Godot? You mean the prosecutor from Ace Attorney? (I bet you get that a lot)

Either way, looks amazing.

View my game dev blog here!

I've been aware of the Godot engine for some time. It really deserves good publicity.

These tutorials could help get more people familiar with the engine. Good stuff.

I've been aware of the Godot engine for some time. It really deserves good publicity.

These tutorials could help get more people familiar with the engine. Good stuff.

Yeah publicity is certainly the most needed thing right now.

Also, finished the video version of the latest tutorial ( Scenes/Globals ) :

Added another part on Collision Detection and Physics Simulations

Or directly on Youtube:

Thank you! I have been following them.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

A bit delayed, but added another part. Creating 2D levels using tilemaps.

Text version: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2015/04/28/Godot-Engine-Tutorial-Part-8-Tilemaps.aspx

Video version:

Thanks for these updates! I am watching every one!

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Tilemaps! Great, I really needed this one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement