Game Engine for Linux

Started by
11 comments, last by luveti 9 years, 1 month ago

Here's a question I thought I would never ask here. What's a game engine that you know of that works on Linux? The requirements:

1. Works on Linux

2. Can port games to multi platform, ideally Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, and Android. A subset of this is fine.

3. Not dying soon, currently in active development, and have some legit userbase.

4. Free to use, at least for non-commercial. I can worry about the commercial license later.

I have been exclusively using Linux these past few years, and recently I want to prototype a game. I first thought of using Unity, but it can only run on Windows or Mac. I gotta pay $99 just to download Leadwerks, even for the Indie version. I would use Unity, but I don't want to shell out another $600 just to buy a new Windows/Mac laptop, or dual-boot my current laptop with Windows.

What I am looking for is a game engine, a tool with UI that allows you to configure game object properties, level editor, and so forth. I am not looking for SDL or SFML, or Ogre API/SDK. I am not interested in programming in these. I just want to prototype a game.

Advertisement

Game Editor

Blender Game Engine

Godot

C4

Game Editor

Blender Game Engine

Godot

C4

Great list! Saw Blender Game Engine, but I wasn't so sure about it. Does it come preinstalled with Blender? Blender's official website doesn't seem to talk a lot about it.

Godot and Game Editor seem promising. I will check those out. Thanks!

There is always UE4

You might want to check out LiveCode - http://livecode.com/

Not so much a game engine but it's got lots of built-in stuff to make games.

--
Aspiring Indie Game Developer
Contact Info: http://about.me/joeklemmer
"Using Linux since Nov 1991"

[edit] never mind, I listed frameworks and not engines.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

@phantom

I totally forgot UE4 is on linux now!

@alnite

It's just in blender. You're gonna have to do some googling. Tough as phantom pointed out, UE4 man! Should be super quick to prototype with blueprints.

Is there a way to use UE4 without paying $19/month?

Use PolyCode, it isn't mature or fully battle tested but it can be used to make game prototypes. Using Linux especially arch it's easy to install because it's on the AUR. It's got a fair amount of user base although you have to look at github, mailing list and forums to see the whole community.

Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

Is there a way to use UE4 without paying $19/month?

I believe you don't have to pay for it monthly(unless I'm confusing it with another engine), if you're ok with not receiving updates, as they won't revoke your ability to use the toolset. Though, you will still need to abide by their licensing when/if you release your game. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I've understood things to stand.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement