• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MrKyleMann175

3ds max texture map

This topic is 1304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, is there anyway that using 3ds max, make a 3d model using different textures/materials and then create a texture map which would then be applied to the model so that I can cut down on my game's loading times by cutting the amount of textures used on a model from 10 to just 1?

Advertisement

is there anyway that using 3ds max, make a 3d model using different textures/materials and then create a texture map

Without knowing the exact workflow you used, I expect the answer is yes but you should give a more detailed description of what you want.

If you want to merge texture layers, you can export the textures and use a external editor like Photoshop to merge them.

If you want to merge your procedural textures, you can again export them and merge them or bake them into a single texture.

If you want the model to look like the render results then you will need to bake the render to a texture.

cutting the amount of textures used on a model from 10 to just 1?

This isn't recommended for 3d games, the model will look flat. For 3d you should look into normal maps.

If you intend to make a "AAA game" you will want at least:

Diffuse/Albedo map.

Normal Map.

Specular/Metallic map.

These are optional:

Shininess/Gloss map

Ambient occlusion map

Reflection map

Light/Emission map

Displace/Tessellation map

The names after "/" represents the physic based shading material counterparts, although these shaders could use either or both.

I believe that baking the textures is what I want, bassically im wondering if 3ds max has a tool to get a model with different textures and then export a texture map?

bassically im wondering if 3ds max has a tool to get a model with different textures and then export a texture map?

Like This?

It's a bit old but should still be good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!