3ds max texture map

Started by
3 comments, last by MrKyleMann175 9 years, 1 month ago
Hey, is there anyway that using 3ds max, make a 3d model using different textures/materials and then create a texture map which would then be applied to the model so that I can cut down on my game's loading times by cutting the amount of textures used on a model from 10 to just 1?

Advertisement

is there anyway that using 3ds max, make a 3d model using different textures/materials and then create a texture map

Without knowing the exact workflow you used, I expect the answer is yes but you should give a more detailed description of what you want.

If you want to merge texture layers, you can export the textures and use a external editor like Photoshop to merge them.

If you want to merge your procedural textures, you can again export them and merge them or bake them into a single texture.

If you want the model to look like the render results then you will need to bake the render to a texture.

cutting the amount of textures used on a model from 10 to just 1?

This isn't recommended for 3d games, the model will look flat. For 3d you should look into normal maps.

If you intend to make a "AAA game" you will want at least:

Diffuse/Albedo map.

Normal Map.

Specular/Metallic map.

These are optional:

Shininess/Gloss map

Ambient occlusion map

Reflection map

Light/Emission map

Displace/Tessellation map

The names after "/" represents the physic based shading material counterparts, although these shaders could use either or both.

I believe that baking the textures is what I want, bassically im wondering if 3ds max has a tool to get a model with different textures and then export a texture map?

bassically im wondering if 3ds max has a tool to get a model with different textures and then export a texture map?

Like This?

It's a bit old but should still be good.

That's excatly what i was looking for, thanks! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement