How do game engineers pack their data?

Started by
21 comments, last by TheChubu 9 years, 1 month ago

In order to import 3d models, a 3d model file (i.e. COLLADA) and some maps are needed.

Having all that data out there in some folder isn't too smart because it can be viewed or even worse, edited, easily by anyone, so I noticed that many games have their data packed in one or many large files.

How do game engineers do that? Any thoughts on this matter?

Advertisement
Firstly, you probably don't want an interchange format like COLLADA or the native format of your modelling package in your final game; it has all the data needed for editing your model, and a lot of that simply isn't needed in the final game, so you'll usually want an optimized format that only contains the information needed by your game, preferably in a format that can be loaded and used as-is without or with very minimal further processing.

As for packing the assets into larger files, at a basic level you can just use a standard archive format like zip, perhaps renamed and password protected to prevent casual snooping and editing (although this still be no barrier at all to an experienced cracker). This is quite common and probably sufficient for your projects.

At a more advanced level you might create your own more optimal archive format that's especially designed to meet the needs or your particular game.

Hope that helps! :)

(Posted from mobile.)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Having all that data out there in some folder isn't too smart because it can be viewed or even worse, edited, easily by anyone

This point keeps coming up. This is _not_ why games pack their data. Who cares if someone mods your game? That just makes your game more popular and longer lived. Even games with incredibly proprietary format end up with mods anyway, so it's pure foolishness to think that you're going to stop someone from viewing or "worse" editing the files.

Games pack files for speed and for reduced install size. Game assets are ideally stored in a format that can be streamed into the engine and require little to no further processing (perhaps just a little validation for safety) and that's it. You want to avoid parsing or massaging data loaded off disk to the extent possible.

The custom pack files also make it easy to group resources (e.g., if a level is loaded in, all assets needed for the level can be loaded in without having to open up a ton of files strewn across the disc, which is really slow especially on spinning media like HDDs or DVDs). The pack files make it easier to apply good compression (compressing individual files duplicates the compression header and probably give you worse overall compression).

Pack files are used because they're _faster_, not because they're more "resilient" to those evil horrible hated detestable end-users tinkering with the bits and bytes.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

To pile on, you're right that editor-friendly formats aren't a great idea, but its not because how easy they are to edit, its because editor formats are built for editing and don't have any concern about hitting soft-real-time requirements, or how small they need to be to suit disk-bound or digital distribution.

The ideal formats for AAA and very demanding games are minimal processing between reading and seating them in memory -- data should, per-platform, be read into its exact in-memory format, complete with proper padding, alignment, and data-representation, when possible (zero-out the padding, for security and better compressibility). That allows data to be round-tripped with no intervention in theory, in practice, you'll probably want to do a minimal amount of validation.

For games that aren't as demanding, typically digitally-distributed ones (Indie games typically fall into this category, though not all that do are indie), file size and simplicity are often better goals to strive for. For that, you'll probably want a binary file format that's a sequential representation of the in-memory format, but which removes padding and ignores alignment. Then, you'll probably want to compress the entire packfile or whatever with something like zlib. For some file types, like textures, that have specific, effective compression like DXT and friend, you'll want to do that before compressing further, or maybe use a scheme that only compresses files without specific compression methods.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Games pack files for speed and for reduced install size.
[...]
Pack files are used because they're _faster_, not because they're more "resilient" to those evil horrible hated detestable end-users tinkering with the bits and bytes.

This is a very important point.

If your files are on the user's machine anyone with some basic cracking skills can and will be able to access and modify them, and you can not prevent this. If your game is at all popular those moderately skilled users will produce and share tools that automate the process so that unskilled users can do so as well.

At absolute best if you want to "protect" files you can discourage casual inspection of the files by unskilled users, and you should put a minimal amount of effort (at most) into this rather than wasting your time and potentially annoying genuine customers.

Design your formats for efficiency, not for protection. :)

(Posted from mobile.)

- Jason Astle-Adams

In general, people will tinker with and change the assets for your game if they love it.

So, even if you pack and compress or align your game data, consider making a small sdk with the tools so that people don't have to be ingenious to get at it. :)

Those tools includes pack readers, model viewers, etc.

Too many projects; too much time

isn't too smart because it can be viewed or even worse, edited, easily by anyone

This sentence almost made me vomit.

Tifa%20vs.%20Ying,%20Yang,%20Ying-Yang.p

This is a screenshot from when I was tinkering with Final Fantasy VII assets when I was 17. Assets I hacked out of the game.

Today I work for Square Enix as a senior graphics programmer on Final Fantasy XV.

Why is it that you think having your resources hacked is a bad thing? Hacking Final Fantasy VII and getting encouraging results made my career.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This is a nice article on prepping data offline ready for efficient loading: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132376/delicious_data_baking.php?page=1

Another thing to think about is whether you want to use a 'push' or a 'pull' approach to loading resources.

The pull approach is perhaps more natural, you have a bunch of resources set out into a logical (to a human) folder structure (possibly in some sort of zip-esque archive format), then your game code requests the assets it needs in some arbitrary order and they get loaded. Sometimes when you're loading a model, it might contain dependencies on some texture or sound, so you fire off loads for them too.

The problem with the pull approach is that you're seeking all over the place. Which is fine for solid state storage (SSD, cartridges, mobile) is OK for hard disk drives, but is a total nightmare for DVD/Blu-Ray, etc, as the seek costs can be huge.

The push model is an approach where you create a single file for a collection of stuff that will get loaded together. So if your game is level based and non-streaming, your tools might construct a single level file containing all the appropriate models, sounds and textures. The game code will request to load the level file, and the load process will push each of the resources it comes across into the right subsystem.

I guess with the current crop of platforms, and the fact that games stream so much dynamically, the push vs pull choice is less important, and it's always possible to make the pull model work OK by carefully laying out resources on the storage media, but I think the push approach is the better one if you're planning out a system from scratch.

If you're using C or c++, look into physicsfs.

It allows loading resources from compressed archive formats such as zip, 7z, and wad. It acts like a filesystem so you can stream files from it or just load them whole into ram. Definitely worth the effort to integrate.

Firstly, you probably don't want an interchange format like COLLADA or the native format of your modelling package in your final game; it has all the data needed for editing your model, and a lot of that simply isn't needed in the final game, so you'll usually want an optimized format that only contains the information needed by your game, preferably in a format that can be loaded and used as-is without or with very minimal further processing.

Can you name file formats that match this "optimized format" description?

One more question. Let's say I have this one big .dat file in my game directory where data is present sequentially, and I load it.

Will I need to have tons of "#define X_ASSET_OFFSET" (and perhaps X_ASSET_SIZE) and then call ifstream::seekg() when I load every model?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement