• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acharis

"Frontline"

This topic is 1333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there any articles/sites/whatever related to AI that is able to "hold a frontline"? Like in a wargame for example.

Or does anyone know something about the subject?

Advertisement

I recall some AI gaming wisdom books, the older ones, not the 500 dollar one, had some articles on some methods.  The gist, from what I remember, is having tiles/squares/hexes/positions have calculated values of importance, based upon the location of units.  Units would give off zones of control, for example, a unit might have a 3 rating, and that would scale outwards from it's center.  The square it controls is 3, the squares adjacent to it are 2, and the squares past that 1, and zero elsewhere.  Opponents strengths are negative values.  The AI then has a map of strengths.

It's called "influence mapping". I believe the article was by Steve Woodcock in AIGPG1. There have been others since then in a variety of places (including one in the upcoming AI Pro 2 written by myself).

Thanks yeah, I totally spaced on the name, but then I remembered and came back to post it, but you beat me to it.  Thanks IADaveMark.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!