what would make vc text unreadable.?

Started by
9 comments, last by ankhd 9 years, 1 month ago

Why can't I readt the text in visual studio express any more, or note pad, web page text seems to be ok.

How are things like this happening too me.???? any ideas did a search and nothing comes up.

I rolled back video drivers same thing but note pad works vc can't read it still.

Link look better in paint lol.

Advertisement
Screenshot?

That doesn't look look like the default font.

Or it might be but you enabled/disabled ClearType, or perhaps are using a different font antialising system.

Different versions and different localizations of the IDE have used various versions. Go into your options for the environment, under Fonts and Colors and see what you've got.

The editor has historically used various of these at 10 point font: Courier New, Consolas, Segoe UI, and MS Gothic.

Hi.

Changed the size to 12 points but it has missing bits still. it's set to Courier New. looks like old printed text on paper when the printers out of ink. how.

there has been no new items installed on this pc at all and this is happening.

Ok just changed clear type to standard and it works now no missing bits. How and when that changed no Idea must do it in my sleep.

is clear type meant to be set???

nope now the problems moved to the out put window cant read that text to well ???? man.

Ok ran this here no change, then changed to Arial 12 point Ill live with this did the same for out put window i'll do. thanks for the tips.

That's a rather confusing set of statements.

Many modern fonts are designed to be displayed with ClearType enabled. Some of these newer fonts look terrible without it, and they are designed to take advantage of different sub-pixel layouts at sizes between 8 point and 12 point. I love the look of the Consolas font, but only with ClearType enabled. While I was working on my book the publisher required all screenshots to be taken with it disabled, the font looked much worse with ClearType disabled.

ClearType lets you make adjustments, some of them are based on what looks better to you. The adjustments account for things like sub-pixel placement on LCD screens that can change with different orientations; for example if your monitor is rotated a quarter turn the sub-pixel antialiasing can be improved. It has a potentially bad side effect of coloring the edges of fonts so other of the adjustments let you adjust color intensity and bleed and other values.

Arial and other variable width fonts are typically a bad choice for editing code. Normally it is easier to read code if it is fixed width or nearly so, otherwise blocks of text tend to look wrong. If it works for you then go for it, but it isn't what most programmers would select.

Your "nope" line looks like you started doing something on your own, changed a setting, then complained about it here expecting us to know or see the difference. We are not mind readers. We cannot say why you "cant read that text to well ???? man." without a screenshot or other effective communication.

no I never changed any of the setting thats the thing, it was fine and dandy before(what ever did it), and yeah I don't like coding in arial, but thats the only font in vc that working with out missing bits for some reason.

May be a reinstall of vc is needed.

Arial and other variable width fonts are typically a bad choice for editing code

my eye's, not fun at all.

That doesn't look look like the default font.

it was. see what I mean you should of saw my face when i opened the project and that text all poped up errr.

Are you somehow running at a resolution higher than the native resolution of your monitor??

Also check the Zoom-level in Visual Studio. Holding the Ctrl key and using the mousewheel in a document changes it for me, so I often change it by mistake.

Depending on your OS it could be the new windows update that is corrupting Courier New and other fonts.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/kb3013455-ms15-010-causes-font-corruption/8640d38d-19bd-46b6-9af0-6213c05107d3

Yes, MS seems to have made a mistake, you can get the update from the MS site, I guess windows update should have it as well, but seems odd it would come up now unless you manually played with them.

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/3037639

Fix for text quality degradation after security update 3013455 (MS15-010) is installed

After you install security update 3013455 (described in MSRC bulletin MS15-010), you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. This problem occurs on computers that are running the following operating systems:
Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Windows Server 2003 SP2
Windows Vista SP2
Release Date: February 18, 2013
EDIT: Actually seems MS made a second mistake and put the wrong year on that lol,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement