• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Possible help for Those Looking for "Open World" Development

This topic is 1095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright, after digging around the forums for a bit, I noticed an increasingly large trend for programmers wanting to design an open world. With... well most answers being nearly pointless and utterly useless. It's not the aspect of how you do it, it's how do you make an engine that can support loading chunks of custom data that's infinitely spread out in multiple locations. Not the terrain it's self, or streaming the data, which seems to be the most common answer to receive.

Well, I think I found something that actually might help people out when I decided to go into the deepest and darkest reaches of the internet to find the answer myself.

There is a team using the Ogre Graphics 3D engine to actually reverse engineer the Morrowind game. While Morrowind is actually old as dirt, and uses non-existing and obsolete hardware... it isn't unreasonable to suggest that Bethesda uses the same engine design and architecture. After all, it's still uses the same .esm and .esp files. To the experienced programmer, you know the idea of reusing architectures and code. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is not a remake of Morrowind, it still uses the original game data. Only the redesigned engine is now open for viewing, and still possibly bug prone.

However, as it is using the same game data, it is actually fully compatible with all morrowind mods that uses the standard .esp. This means that with a bit of study, you might be able to discover a method of allowing mods in your own engine.

The Project is named OpenMW, and is currently open source. Right now I am busy studying the code myself, and I am finding this... incredibly impressive.

Here is the link

Other notes, this engine is made using C++. I hadn't seen all of the code yet, so I don't know how easily transferable this is to other languages. If it's just using STL, then it should be just fine... theoretically.

To all the programmers who are looking for this solution and had their prayers met, HAVE FUN!~

Your local research, mT Tangletail; Hope this helps!

Edited by Tangletail

Advertisement

I decided to go into the deepest and darkest reaches of the internet

Page 3 of Google's search results? smile.png

Nice find!

Edited by Orangeatang

It's a joke. I actually didn't know quite what to look for just yet. In fact, I actually spent about two weeks tearing apart SKyrim's .esms for the secret myself till I ran into this about two links down after the fiftith' page result.

I really wish people would stop naming their programs Open<insert acronym here>. They are doing the same thing with glew glaux glext glee and glfw. It's starting to get confusing :p, but it's probably just me. I get that it has good marketing influence because of the 'Open' label, but damn.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement