• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Best tutorials for beginner to expert Unity Java?

This topic is 1057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to find a really welldone tutorial on Java Unity but can't find any. Do you know a really good tutorial?

Edited by ThePieLord

Advertisement

Javascript you mean. And it's different from Java.

Annnnnnnd nope. There are only basic level tutorials. You are pretty much doomed into self exploration.

I am trying to find a really welldone tutorial on Java Unity but can't find any. Do you know a really good tutorial?

There are many tutorials, and books on Unity, but they might not cover what you are looking for.

1) Do you mean Javascript? (as others have stated and asked)

2) why Javascript and not C#? C# is vastly more powerful when it comes to language features than Javascript....

3) What kind of tutorial are you looking for? I am not 100% with tangletail here about the quality of available tutorials, but

3a) not all good tutorials will be found on Unitys hompage, the official ones serve mostly as primers

3b) because of that, you should know a little bit better what kind of tutorial you are searching for to help uncle google find it for you

Don't worry though, the Unity community is quite vast, there is a good chance anything you think of, someone else somewhere around the world has tried before in Unity. Maybe create a forum user on the Unity forums and start asking specific questions there if you get stuck.

EDIT: oh, and about that "beginner to expert" tutorial thingy.... forget that. The "C++ in 21 days"-like books might be good introductionary books, but will not make you a C++ expert... you will need many years expierience with actual programming projects to get anywhere NEAR expert level.

And we are talking about a full book here. You will find NO tutorial that will teach you EVERYTHING on a language, and NO tutorial that does more than teach you a very specific topic (a full series of many tutorials might come close to teaching you what a full book will)...

On more reason to pick a topic and search for a tutorial on that.

Edited by Gian-Reto

If you are looking for VERY basic and well explained tutorials for starting from scratch with unity I recommend you this course:

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html#unity3software

Its a fully free course with lots of hours of content. I did watch everything until the second course and I tell you it becomes too basic and slow at some point, but if you like to take the learning slowly and get the concepts right I advice you to start it.

Oh and the tutorial is 4 years old, so some things are outdated(especially regarding animations), but in general everything is similar.

If you are trying to learn unity, you should start by learning c#.  i think its better to use than unityscript(unity's version of javascript), because it is a more powerful language and more widely used in general.  One tutorial I would recommend for a newcomer to unity would be http://pixelnest.io/tutorials/2d-game-unity/ It covers quite a few features and isn't too old.  It still uses the old GUI system instead of the newer UI system, but outside of that everything is up to date.

Java Unity

Unless there was a really big announcement that I missed, that isn't a thing. 

JavaScript is supported. And there are lots of books and web sites that cover it.

Java and JavaScript are radically different, related only by name as people tried to cash in on another language's popularity. 

Strictly speaking its not JavaScript either, UnityScript is alot closer to JScript.Net and treating it like Javascript is a pretty bad idea. Alot of valid javascript code is invalid in Unity and you should always prefer to use static typing and generics(if necessary) in Unity rather than relying on dynamic typing like you would with JavaScript (it is significantly slower).

Personally i would recommend using C# instead since it is more commonly used. (more resources available and more people who can help you if you get stuck)

Strictly speaking its not JavaScript either, UnityScript is alot closer to JScript.Net and treating it like Javascript is a pretty bad idea. Alot of valid javascript code is invalid in Unity and you should always prefer to use static typing and generics(if necessary) in Unity rather than relying on dynamic typing like you would with JavaScript (it is significantly slower).

Personally i would recommend using C# instead since it is more commonly used. (more resources available and more people who can help you if you get stuck)
Actually... Yes, I do know those things prior to writing my reply. Check the footer, and also the book. I know quite a lot about Unity's inner workings.

However, I also note that this is For Beginners. A simple "Unity supports JavaScript not Java" is direct and concise.

A longer treatise about how Unity's language is based on, similar to, but different from JavaScript, that it is often called UnityScript, that it gets compiled into their intermediate language, and all the other technical and intricate detail is generally inappropriate in the For Beginners forum unless that was the specific question.

The goal of For Beginners is to help people learn and grow, getting past things that are confusing and difficult. Adding extra nuance that is unnecessary to the question or likely to cause confusion is generally not recommended.

Also FYI, Unity announced a while ago that they'll be dropping Boo support (to some extend) due to the fact it's not used as much in comparison to C# and Unityscript. Looking at the post and seeing their aim moving more towards C# in their own tutorials and assets, it might serve you better in the long run if you take the step to C# instead of Unityscript.

Actually... Yes, I do know those things prior to writing my reply. Check the footer, and also the book. I know quite a lot about Unity's inner workings.

However, I also note that this is For Beginners. A simple "Unity supports JavaScript not Java" is direct and concise.

A longer treatise about how Unity's language is based on, similar to, but different from JavaScript, that it is often called UnityScript, that it gets compiled into their intermediate language, and all the other technical and intricate detail is generally inappropriate in the For Beginners forum unless that was the specific question.

The goal of For Beginners is to help people learn and grow, getting past things that are confusing and difficult. Adding extra nuance that is unnecessary to the question or likely to cause confusion is generally not recommended.

I would say that using an appropriate name for the language is important in the beginners section

a perfect example of the trouble a beginner could run into by using the wrong name can be experienced with a simple google search for "javascript gravity function"

The very first result: http://burakkanber.com/blog/modeling-physics-javascript-gravity-and-drag/

has this snippet

var frameRate = 1/40; // Seconds
var frameDelay = frameRate * 1000; // ms
var loopTimer = false;

var ball = {
    position: {x: width/2, y: 0},
    velocity: {x: 10, y: 0},
    mass: 0.1, //kg
    radius: 15, // 1px = 1cm
    restitution: -0.7
};

var Cd = 0.47; // Dimensionless
var rho = 1.22; // kg / m^3
var A = Math.PI * ball.radius * ball.radius / (10000);
var ag = 9.81;

if you copy&paste this into unity (along with the rest of the code in that blogpost) you'll end up with the frameRate and frameDelay variables set to 0 (all movement later on in the code will be multiplied by 0 and the beginner who copy&pasted the code will have a fairly hard time figuring out what the problem is), similar problems will occur if you google for pretty much any math related problem and javascript.

It may be a minor technical detail but it is not insignificant. Calling Unityscript Javascript is imho not helpful, The technical details was aimed at you not the OP (The OP only needs to know that it is NOT JavaScript, but you as an experienced member of this forum, a moderator, and the author of a Unity book really should understand why they are different and why it is a really really bad idea to tell a beginner that Unity uses Javascript)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement