• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shpongle

MonoGame and bugs/incomplete features?

This topic is 1300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So recently I started trying to learn C# w/ Visual Studio Express 2013 and MonoGame.  MonoGame seemed like a good start to rapidly creating simple video games.

However, I've already run into two instances of things that work in XNA 4 but don't work in MonoGame.

The first is the GraphicsDeviceManager property IsFullScreen.  It doesn't work in MonoGame and always switches to false.  Instead, I work around that using borderless window mode; not the same as exclusive full screen mode, but workable.

Then I try to get the current resolution using the GraphicsAdapter.DefaultAdapter.CurrentDisplayMode Width and Height properties.  Yet, they always return 800 x 600 resolution, regardless of actual display resolution.

In XNA, both of these properties work as advertised, so why not in MonoGame?  The fact I'm already running into these broken features makes me worried about what else might be broken.

Should I ditch VSE 2013/Monogame and just use VSE 2010/XNA 4 instead?  I know XNA 4 is not supported anymore, but I'm just using this to get my feet wet in games programming again.  Or are there better alternatives like FNA?  

Advertisement

Thanks for the tip although admittedly I'm not too concerned which IDE I use.  I haven't used either long enough to get attached (yet).  My main concern is using an API/framework that isn't buggy.

You should ask this question at the monogame forums, or file a bug against them with a simple repro project.

I've definitely encountered a few issues with graphics device setup in monogame, but was able to work around them (and filed bugs so they got fixed). It's possible the current version of monogame fixes whatever issue you're running into (assuming you're running the latest official release). You can also build monogame yourself... I had to do this for an audio issue whose fix hadn't been pushed into the official source code yet.

fyi, I just tested IsFullScreen with a Monogame (v3.0) Windows OpenGL project, and it worked fine. I also don't see any issues with GraphicsAdapter.CurrentDisplayMode.

Edited by phil_t

To use XNA with Visual Studio 2013 you can simply install XNA 4.0 Refresh. Should be easier than following the tutorial that was posted by frazchaudhry.
Or you could try FNA as you said yourself. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

edit:
I tested the GraphicsAdapter.DefaultAdapter.CurrentDisplayMode.Width an Height properties with FNA and they reported my resolution as 1920x1080 which is correct.

Edited by Jan2go

I also had problems with IsFullscreen, ToggleFullscreen() and GraphicsAdapter.DefaultAdapter.CurrentDisplayMode when I first started with MonoGame too.  However, they have been fixed in recent development builds since the last official release (3.2).  You can get the most recent build here: http://www.monogame.net/downloads/  Under the Development Builds section.  

The fullscreen fix also includes a new option not available in XNA to choose between windowed fullscreen and exclusive fullscreen. Some details about it here:

https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/pull/3494

It seems the original windowed fullscreen has also been improved because I no longer have to get CurrentDisplayMode.Width/Height and manually resize the borderless window. Setting IsFullscreen=true or ToggleFullscreen() will maximize the window on it's own.  

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies.  It's good to know these bugs have been addressed in the current DevBuilds.

To clarify my original post, my concern is less these specific issues than bugs in Monogame in general.  I've only just started working with Monogame and C#, so when I encounter something that doesn't work, I'm often left scratching my head if it's my code that's wrong or if it's a broken feature/bug.

I think for now I'm going to move to XNA 4 under Visual Studio Express 2010.  Things seem to work more as advertised on that platform.  Once I get a better handle on the coding aspects, then I'll come back to Monogame.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!