• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MangoPolo

Let's talk on how to make a product builder game?

This topic is 1328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create a kind of game which will be used to build specific products online. I want it simple but effective. A 2d car builder, for example. People online can build their own car starting the engine and adding the rest of the parts. Same might be done with a pizza. A animated pizza builder. Add parts, step by step, in a very userfriendly, animated way. What tools I will need for this? I was advices this way - " html5, canvas2d, webgl and SVG as an option, which does pretty advanced things. From all these, I know only HTML5. What do you think should I start with?

Advertisement

I am by no means any expert on the topic, but I think you have a lot to learn, if HTML is all you know.  Just client side, I would add that you would need to learn JavaScript too, in addition to the other technologies you have already mentioned.

Unless it is a client based game where nothing is stored between sessions, you will also need a web server with a database system and a server side scripting system. In the past, I have used Apache, PHP and MySQL, but that is starting to be quite a while ago, so have a look around.

Other buzzwords you may have a look into is JSON, JQuery.

Security is a must, so make sure you understand the dangers and pitfalls of a poorly designed system for handling logins and sessions (how you store your passwords, for instance), and data that is sent to the server from the client (it can not be trusted without validation), and SQL security as well (SQL injection, for instance).

All these suggestions are based on what you mentioned in your original post, and there are other choices you can make too, like scrapping everything mentioned above and go for something like FLASH, for instance, client side. You will still need what I mentioned on the server side if you want persistence.

Edited by aregee

html5, canvas2d, webgl and SVG

Pretty much what I would suggest, based on the description of the kind of thing you're looking to build.

Assuming you only need 2D, you can also consider using a framework such as paper.js, which sits on top of canvas but also provides some abstractions for scene management.

If you need 3D, you might want to look into babylon.js or three.js.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!