Open source rendering engine

Started by
9 comments, last by Tangletail 9 years, 1 month ago

I want to build my own rendering engine (based on OpenGL).

Is there a good open source rendering engine (preferably base on opengl) out there that I could learn from?

I know about ogre but it is far too complex for learning proposes. I could use a good tutorial or on article about this subject too.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I occasionally look at the bgfx renderer for design ideas. It's fairly compact compared to Ogre3D and doesn't have a lot of extra non-related code either.

Horde3D is another one.

I found Emil Persson's "Framework 3" to be a pretty good reference for simple renderer design, it abstracts both OpenGL and DirectX into a somewhat common API. Plus he's got loads of demos using that framework, all here: http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&

I occasionally look at the bgfx renderer for design ideas. It's fairly compact compared to Ogre3D and doesn't have a lot of extra non-related code either.

That 'submit' function in renderer_gl is scary D:

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Speaking of... has anyone figured out how to compile BGFX?

I'm having the worst time of my life at the moment. cmake apparently requires a cmake.txt file to use.
And windows doesn't have a native make... even with the software installed.

UE4 isn't "Open" source, but if you can easily look at the source if you want to see how they do things, so you still get what you want.

I'm having the worst time of my life at the moment. cmake apparently requires a cmake.txt file to use.

BGFX comes with a makefile. CMake is a system for generating makefiles/IDE projects depending on the user's preference. Scroll down on the repository's home page (README.md) and it has instructions for building on various platforms.

https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx#building

"So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen: the only API I’ve ever used that requires both elevated privileges and a dedicated user thread just to copy a block of structures from the kernel to the user." - Casey Muratori

boreal.aggydaggy.com

BGFX comes with a makefile. CMake is a system for generating makefiles/IDE projects depending on the user's preference. Scroll down on the repository's home page (README.md) and it has instructions for building on various platforms.

https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx#building

I've been trying to get those instructions to work actually. I have GNUmake installed, but windows is not registering it as a command line function.

Do you have its "bin" directory added to your PATH?

"So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen: the only API I’ve ever used that requires both elevated privileges and a dedicated user thread just to copy a block of structures from the kernel to the user." - Casey Muratori

boreal.aggydaggy.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement