• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Optimizing games for mobile platforms(Windows Phone).

This topic is 1150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm making a game for "big" Windows 8 and I decided to make WP version. I noticed, that my app is really slower on smartphone, than in laptop. I wonder, how can I optimize my game? With text I didn't have a big problem, but with bitmaps and 3d models, yes I have. I had a idea to make bitmaps with smaller count of pixels, but I thing that isn't enough. Maybe you can give me some advices of desing mobile games?

Advertisement

There is nothing usefull for me, I'm not looking toturials how to make a game, but how to optimize a game(maybe not only for Windows Phone).

If you'd read as far as the second paragraph you'd notice:

This section contains more information on using Direct3D in a phone app, including API and shader support, differences from the desktop platform, and performance optimization.

Edited by mark ds

This was helpful, thanks. Maybe can you suggest some of way to compress bitmaps, that can be improve rendering frames?

Yes, you are right, DirectX hardware level 9_3 maximal support s3tc. I assume, that I should dds texture instead of bitmaps. Ok, I found a class in DirectXTK used for load dds texture from file, but I don't have any idea, how can I use it and how can I render this texture in 2D("flat") instead of creating 3D scenes? Maybe some tutorial?

There are many techniques for that. Setting your camera to an orthographic projection and drawing textured quads is one of the more common ones. That has more to do with learning the fundamentals of graphics than with mobile programming. Edited by frob
Add a link

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement