How to build my first game

Started by
7 comments, last by Eck 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello

I am beginner programmer and Designer, i've been practicing my coding in C#, Java, C++ and Teaching myself on Game design. I've started since august 2013, i've been going through tutorials, i've had an hard time grasping the basics of programming and i've been seeking the knowledge for an long time to put the knowledge together to build Feature and Games. To be clear, I've learned the basics but i've having hard time to put the knowledge together especially on building features for the games that i am building. My current goal right now is Build an game similar to Fruit ninja but with different mechanics and features. Afterwards, i plan to build an Text-based RPG and Space shooter-like game, my issue is figuring out how to put it together:

• The Thing is that i always think of an game idea like watching or playing an certain video game, then after doing some brainstorming about an theme and coming up with ideas on the features for the game. That is the easier part of it if you set an limit like 2-3 features in an game, the last thing i wouldn't want is Feature creep on building games.
  • Then when it comes to building the game or feature of it, it become an problem; it how to put together the knowledge to build an feature of an game like an Combo System(To Display your combo hits on an enemy), Building an Game Timer(How to gauge how much time is left) example of features. I did tutorials like Leerpz and Walker Boys but they show you on how unity works and with less emphasis on how to code it, the next thing i knew that i would end up relying on tutorials on how to build the games instead of learning to programming it.
  • What makes it frustrating as well is asking for help and/or assistance how to learn build the features or coding in certain language like Java, C#, C++. Some times when i ask for some assistance like some pointers or know where i can get the knowledge to learn how to build an knowledge on build features for an game or Building an game based on an genre. When i ask for assistance or help on how to build an game by myself or having trouble on building an certain feature of an game, some times it's misinterpreted as Getting people to do it for you but everyone knows that saying of giving an man the fish for a day quote.
  • I've been learning from scratch and been Self-taught so far, I don't mind building on knowledge of other people who do things differently. I'm looking for tutorials like how to build an Fruit Ninja game and mod it to build the different features for the game and if possible, an tutorial on Building an Space shooter game, An R-Type clone. To clearify, i'm starting with building mobile games before i do console games because it would be easier for beginners like to build them
  • I have little experience with Programming, Can Design an game idea and the feature. The Artwork and Soundworks are beyond my area of expertise so i may need to find resources or people to help out in those areas

If anyone can think an idea of tutorials like "how to Build an Mod game for beginners", "How to build an feature for all sorts of Game genres especially for RPG, Action, Adventure, etc." or "How to not to be confused on Building your own game by yourself". That would be very helpful.

Sorry for Being long-Winded, I'm just looking for ways to build my first game.

Advertisement

Here is my $0.02:

1. You are relying way too much on finding the answers via tutorials in making your game, when you need to realize that the tutorials only provide you with the basics on which to build. The phase that follows the tutorial following is entirely down to you, you need to decide specifically where your weaknesses lie and either address them through research, trial and error, and asking on forums like this.

2. I'm having a hard time working out if you are a designer or programmer type! This is pretty important in deciding the path you wish to follow: Are you a more technically-minded person who thinks along the lines of how a game was made to do what it does at the code level as you play it, or do you look for ways to improve the gameplay, look and feel of the game with little concern for the technical detail? I think you are taking on a little too much in trying to wear both hats.

3. If something isn't working for you, like the tutorials, adapt! It is pretty easy to find many types of information outside tutorials once you have nailed the specifics of what you need to know.

4. Clinging to the basics is a hopeless thing to do when you are looking to make your own game, you have to be prepared to dive in the deep end frequently to see if you can actually do it. Knowing the basics tells us almost nothing, as those who have no interest in making games also know the basics.

Move forward and discover yourself, and try not to take on too much at one time.

Thanks, I'll try to find more types of information outside tutorials.

I think that you try to master too much stuff at once. For one you are a still learning to code, to get a game structured, to add features and then you try to design a game too. I would sugguest to practise with one task first, and this would be to code a game clone, no extra-ordinary design, just code a simple 1:1 clone of a small game. It helps a lot to concentrate on a single task, to get into game architecture, coding and all the other necessary stuff.

The Thing is that i always think of an game idea like watching or playing an certain video game, then after doing some brainstorming about an theme and coming up with ideas on the features for the game. That is the easier part of it if you set an limit like 2-3 features in an game, the last thing i wouldn't want is Feature creep on building games.

You should always start with one core feature, a feature which dominates the whole game. Everything else is just there to support this feature. So, get the core feature and try to make it as good as possible.

Then when it comes to building the game or feature of it, it become an problem; it how to put together the knowledge to build an feature of an game like an Combo System(To Display your combo hits on an enemy), Building an Game Timer(How to gauge how much time is left) example of features. I did tutorials like Leerpz and Walker Boys but they show you on how unity works and with less emphasis on how to code it, the next thing i knew that i would end up relying on tutorials on how to build the games instead of learning to programming it.

This is the lack of not having mastered the art of game development, the craft, so first pratise this, then add design.

What makes it frustrating as well is asking for help and/or assistance how to learn build the features or coding in certain language like Java, C#, C++. Some times when i ask for some assistance like some pointers or know where i can get the knowledge to learn how to build an knowledge on build features for an game or Building an game based on an genre. When i ask for assistance or help on how to build an game by myself or having trouble on building an certain feature of an game, some times it's misinterpreted as Getting people to do it for you but everyone knows that saying of giving an man the fish for a day quote.

This is always difficulty, you need to really put lot of effort to create a game and it is seldomly the case that you can easily help someone with game development, when the question asked is not really concrete. The help will be most useful if you can narrow down an issue you have. Once you ask quite generic question, then you will not get a lot of help.

I've been learning from scratch and been Self-taught so far, I don't mind building on knowledge of other people who do things differently. I'm looking for tutorials like how to build an Fruit Ninja game and mod it to build the different features for the game and if possible, an tutorial on Building an Space shooter game, An R-Type clone.

As already said, game development is really complex and you will not find really useful tutorials about too generic tasks like "How to build game X". Once you want to build a game, you need to piece it together, step for step like this

1. Okay, how do you start a game ? => open window
  2. Okay, I can open a window, what now ? => game loop
  3. Okay, my game loop is running, how to show the content ? => renderer
  4. Okay, now I need some input , how to get input from the controller ? => mouse/keyboard input
  5. Okay, now how to move my avatar around ? => basic movement controller
  6. Okay, how to let the computer move some enemies around ? => basic AI behavior

etc. For each of this development crumb you will find a tutorial. And if you don't have an idea where to find it, ask around for help for a single, concrete task (eg basic enemy movement AI).

The Artwork and Soundworks are beyond my area of expertise so i may need to find resources or people to help out in those areas

Look for free stuff (eg. www.opengameart.org) and utilize it as much as possible. It helps a lot and takes the burden of making your own art or to try to find someone to help.

I'm not super experienced by any means, but I've found the best way to build a game is to just do it.

• Start with a simple idea, that mostly uses techniques you already know.
  • Make a very short list of simple features for your game
  • Put these features in a to-do list (I like to use http://www.abstractspoon.com/tdl_resources.html for doing this)
  • Split these features into sub-features (each task should be doable in less than an hour with little help)
  • Do one feature daily. (more or less)

Not all of the answers are in tutorials and books. Just doing something gives you knowledge and experience. As you continue to gain knowledge and experience, you will come to rely on tutorials and other people less and less.

If you run into a really hard spot, just ask the forum for help. But do try really really hard to figure it out yourself first.

Best of luck.

In line with the other replies, start small.
While developing simple games, you'll get experienced step by step. And a bonus not to underestimate, the satisfaction when finishing any full game is a good motivator.

You could start with something like pong or asteroids and expand them as you like.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Watch these videos.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/your-first-game

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

Hello,

You might find that sticking with one language to begin with will help you understand the basic programming concepts, that way you are not bogged down with the syntax of each language.

When asking for help on a feature or problem why don't you write some pseudocode of how you think it should be implemented, that way people won't think you are asking them to do it and it shows us how you are approaching the problem.

Then someone can provide a solution back using pseudocode and you can translate it back into your language of choice.

Kirk

If you know the basics, it's time to get to game programming. I recommend downloading the free version of Unity, the free version of Visual Studio (2012 I think), wire up Visual Studio to be your Unity editor (should be an article, and dive into making games. The Unity site has tons of great video tutorials to get you started.

Here is a great article for starting out. It tells you which games to make first and why. I can't recommend it enough:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

Coming up with the idea is easy. Executing the idea is hard.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement