Drawing a city in 3D

Started by
11 comments, last by ikarth 9 years, 1 month ago

The tools you need, given you do not want to start at zero (and write your own engine) would be: a 3D Package (Blender (free), Maya (lt version is not too expensive), 3DS MAx, others) to create the building meshes, a game engine (Unity Free version, Unreal Engine 4 (both free)) to create your scene and run the walktrough.

Preferrably you have some helper tools to extract the geo data and create the rough scene for you... this is not my area of expertise, but AFAIK some tools like that exist for the Unity engine, grabbing data from Google Earth and creating terrain, or even city geometry for you. No idea how far this will get you, and no idea if anything is free.

MAYBE there is a tool for Architectural pre-viz that can be used instead of the game engine. This tool will be much less flexible, and I don't know if there are free ones, but maybe worth a look.

The skillset you ned includes:

- 3D Modelling skills: Creating meshes, creating textures, UV Unwrapping, how to optimize meshes for realtime rendering.

- Game Engine Editor usage: you need to know your way around the editor of your chosen game engine... hardly rocket science, but will take you some time to get over the first bump of the learning curve

- Programming: Yes, you will need some programming skills. At least if you go with the game engine, not much, as your requirements are pretty basic. Just enough to let the user conduct his walktrough, and create the needed menus to select the era (Time of day, whatever you else add in options).

I am not worried about the project management details at present, but just investigating the direction and approach of such an initiative.

It has been done before:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/10404898/3D-animation-see-London-as-it-looked-before-the-Great-Fire.html

and won an award.

Your other pointers are excellent, thank you.

Advertisement

I am not worried about the project management details at present, but just investigating the direction and approach of such an initiative.

It has been done before:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/london/10404898/3D-animation-see-London-as-it-looked-before-the-Great-Fire.html

and won an award.

Your other pointers are excellent, thank you.

That actually does sound very similar to the project you have... I would try to get ahold of information about their project:

a) how long did the six guys work on it

b) what kind of skills did they bring to the project

c) what tools did they use (crytek is mentioned, so I guess they used the CryEngine... not that Unity or UE4 wouldn't be the better idea for somebody with no prior expierience with cryengine)

d) did they have any kind of help from the outside (seeing the big splash screens from crytek and others, maybe these companys where involved in the development process somehow, be it just providing the tools for free, or technical consultation)

Then keep in mind that you have to do the same work like these six guys did multiple times (well, depends on the size of your town vs how much of the historical london these guys reconstructed), so factor that into your calculation.

But really, look up more information on that project, maybe you can get in touch with some of these guys and ask some questions?

On the original question, I imagine that you can use any of the major 3D engines available today and build a set of 3D models that you swap in and out. Unreal and Unity can both handle it.

If I was running the project on an unlimited budget, the pipeline would go something like this:

1. Build the models for each building, or connected buildings. Might build the exteriors of a city block as a unit, given your constraints.

2. Record the positions of the buildings in both space (x,y) and time (start - end).

3. Write a scene manager that swaps buildings in and out based on the current point in the timeline

If you don't need dynamic swapping and each century can be a separate scene it gets easier. In that case, you're basically building a static scene several times, which is just a modeling exercise, albeit a large one.

Be aware that if you're trying to do this for a large area with many unique buildings and details this can get quite labor-intensive and expensive. If you can reuse some assets (generic buildings for unimportant or less-attested sites) or are willing to accept less detail it can be manageable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement