• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Adam-Smith

board/card game which deals with nostalgia

This topic is 1261 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI All,
Im new here and  Im a programmer but i want to learn Game design. I have been assigned a little task that i have to submit the earliest (2 days).

Design and document a board game (non-digital) or a card game (non-digital) that deals with the concept of "nostalgia", using one or more interpretations of the word. The target audience is adults. The game documentation should include the rules of the game, visualizations of the board, pieces, tokens, and cards. You must introduce ALL THE EffLEMENTS THAT ARE NEEDED TO PLAY THE GAME. Note also that nostalgia should be weaved into the rules in a way that nostalgia is a central part of the rule system of your game, not just a thematic addition.

The problem is that the bord or card games l know like chess checkers, monopoly, risk , poker etc . I'm finding it very hard to add the nostaliga concept in any of these let aside my own . 

Can you guys out there help me a bit . I really want to do this task in the upcoming days. And i want ot do it my self . But im really short on time and I have never done any game deisgn before. If you could guide me or a headstart would be really helpfull. 

If i can just get an idea what type of game it could be then i can start working on it. 

Advertisement

I got you, bro. It could be a board game where you roll a die (just one) and whatever number you land on you move that many spaces. However each space is color coded, with each color relating to a deck of cards made specifically for the game. There are four colors: red, green, blue, and white. If the player lands on red then they must draw a card from the red deck which contains descriptions of movies or tv shows from back in the day and the player has to try to guess what it is correctly. If the player lands on green then they must draw a card from the green deck which contains descriptions of people (celebrities mostly) from back in the day and the player has to try to guess who it is correctly. If the player lands on blue then they must draw a card from the blue deck which contains lyrics or the beat from popular music back in the day and the player has to try to guess the name of the song correctly. If the player lands on white then they draw no card and get to stay there without a trivia question. If somebody gets the answer wrong then they don't move. Board could be electronic so that the colors are randomly generated every time you turn it on. The board would be 40-50 spaces (my vote goes for 45, but that's just me). There would be 2-4 players, thusly 4 game pieces for them to control. Your target audience being adults is what makes this game possible as they are the only ones who would know the answers to most of the questions. The game could be called Nostalgia Trip.

There you have it. A perfectly good design for a trivia board game that should fulfill all of the requirements. Hopefully this will help get some ideas going in your head, so you can make a game of your own. If not fell free to just use this.

Edited by KingOfTheNoobs

Is this a homework thing? It sounds as though you've been trying to add something to existing games that might be associated with nostalgia. Is this the actual assignment or are you supposed to come up with an original idea with Nostalgia as the theme of the game?

The thing about a trivia game is that you'd need to have a suitable number of questions and categories and you'd probably have to research all the answers. Depending on time constraints and what you need to present, a trivia based game might not be the best option though it may be quite suitable for evoking a sense nostalgia in players.

With the assumption that you're supposed to create something original, I would suggest taking a look at a few definitions of what "nostalgia" means for inspiration. Given that the word tends to suggest one's longing for something from the past (whether that something is a game or anything else) I would try to put together some sort of a game where the objectives are centered on the players trying to find something considered nostalgic (even if the nostalgia value is only to the player characters and not the players themselves).

In short, I suggest that you don't try so much to invoke a sense of nostalgia in the players and just try to use the general idea of "longing for the past" to create a goal for the players to complete.

There is an online 'board game' called Card Hunter which I feel is a good example of a nostalgia-themed game.  (Well, the multiplayer version is basically a board+card game, while the single player campaign has AI and such, but it's the single-player version that has the nostalgia theme in the story, so...)

But wow, that's not enough time to go play any new board games to get more experience with modern ones, which it sounds like you really need to do.  blink.png   Something like 7 Wonders, for example, is a popular modern card/board game but probably utterly different from anything you've played.  (It's inspired by drafting, as done with CCGs when a new expansion comes out.)

i want to learn Game design. I have been assigned a little task that i have to submit the earliest (2 days).
Design and document a board game (non-digital) or a card game (non-digital) that deals with the concept of "nostalgia", using one or more interpretations of the word. The target audience is adults. The game documentation should include the rules of the game, visualizations of the board, pieces, tokens, and cards. You must introduce ALL THE EffLEMENTS THAT ARE NEEDED TO PLAY THE GAME. Note also that nostalgia should be weaved into the rules in a way that nostalgia is a central part of the rule system of your game, not just a thematic addition.

The problem is that the bord or card games l know like chess checkers, monopoly, risk , poker etc

Is this for real? It sounds like a school assignment, and secondly although you want to be a game designer, you don't know any non-digital games. Either it's a school assignment, and you shouldn't be asking for help (and nobody should be giving it) -- and the same goes for a work assignment, btw (you say you want to do it yourself but you need a nudge from us, which sounds odd to me), or you're just not ready to be a game designer. You ought to do some research - at least read up on some board games, do research on nostalgia-themed entertainment, make an effort. The short timeframe is there to (I presume) determine if you're cut out to take on assignments like this one.

I Just asked for a bit help like shaking up my head. I didnt asked to write me down the complete document or design. As i  mentioned i want to do it my Self. I need some help because i know nothing I came up with 2 ideas but i throw it in the trash after 30 mins because they didnt worked.  So I think I would be able to start anything because im realy short on time. If i can get a jump start I can make a story myself and yeah thats not the only Part I have to defend this idea my self. But for that theres need soo I asked. 
And i just just sawa this link and posted i Ready some links But as i told earlier the problem im having is how to fit in the "Nostalgia Concep". 

Edited by Adam-Smith

I got you, bro. It could be a board game where you roll a die (just one) and whatever number you land on you move that many spaces. However each space is color coded, with each color relating to a deck of cards made specifically for the game. There are four colors: red, green, blue, and white. If the player lands on red then they must draw a card from the red deck which contains descriptions of movies or tv shows from back in the day and the player has to try to guess what it is correctly. If the player lands on green then they must draw a card from the green deck which contains descriptions of people (celebrities mostly) from back in the day and the player has to try to guess who it is correctly. If the player lands on blue then they must draw a card from the blue deck which contains lyrics or the beat from popular music back in the day and the player has to try to guess the name of the song correctly. If the player lands on white then they draw no card and get to stay there without a trivia question. If somebody gets the answer wrong then they don't move. Board could be electronic so that the colors are randomly generated every time you turn it on. The board would be 40-50 spaces (my vote goes for 45, but that's just me). There would be 2-4 players, thusly 4 game pieces for them to control. Your target audience being adults is what makes this game possible as they are the only ones who would know the answers to most of the questions. The game could be called Nostalgia Trip.

There you have it. A perfectly good design for a trivia board game that should fulfill all of the requirements. Hopefully this will help get some ideas going in your head, so you can make a game of your own. If not fell free to just use this.

Well what you just said is a mixture of my two ideas. 
I had two ideas one A card Game where 4 players play as a pair . both being friends.. They have chips.
You win if you have me most chips by end of time or win if the opponent loses all his chips. YOu have clue cards. Like Movies, Songs. Places, Adventure. The dealer gives you  the cue cards. You have to make your partner/Friend Guess what that moment/memory was. you have lifelines like swap card, Pass ,Double Bet.  You lose a chip if you cant answer within the given time or if u answer wrong.  You gain a chip if u guess it correctly. 

Seconds Option was A board Game like this. Like Jumangi  but that was fiction so i added Nostalgia by introduciong Cards you can have sad moments or Happy Monets. The cards and speical holders on the board. If you get a Happy Card You get some buff liek extra roll or jump 'X' Spaces and alternatively u get nerf. U miss 'X' turns.

but i wasnt able to finish it . Like my description states "nostalgia should be weaved into the rules in a way that nostalgia is a central part of the rule system of your game, not just a thematic addition."  SO i dropped these ideas. 

And now what u have presendted is a mixture of these tooo to some extent lol :)

Yeah Its sort of a task. To get me tested. And this is my first time designing and documenting. 

I had two ideas one A card Game where 4 players play as a pair each. both being friends.. They have 'X' chips at the start of the game. its a limited time game. The team that has most chops at til the end wins or if the other team loses all the chips. 
 You have clue cards. Like Movies, Songs. Places, Adventure. The dealer gives you  the cue cards. You have to make your partner/Friend Guess what that moment/memory was. you have lifelines like swap card, Pass ,Double Bet.  You lose a chip if you cant answer within the given time or if u answer wrong.  You gain a chip if u guess it correctly. 

Seconds Option was A board Game like this. Like Jumangi  but that was fiction so i added Nostalgia by introduciong Cards you can have sad moments or Happy Monets. The cards and speical holders on the board. If you get a Happy Card You get some buff liek extra roll or jump 'X' Spaces and alternatively u get nerf. U miss 'X' turns.

but i wasnt able to finish it . Like my description states "nostalgia should be weaved into the rules in a way that nostalgia is a central part of the rule system of your game, not just a thematic addition."  SO i dropped these ideas. 

Then as you say . I have to defend the idea like present what positives and negatives. But its getting on my nerves due to lack of time and there soo much to doo. But i really want to do it.

And i saw many card games Like Risk, Chess, Dominions, Settlers of Catan, but them being so detailed refined and big. and me beign a begineer couldnt get hold of it. 

How I approaced it was I tired to add nostaliga in the existing games but utterly failed. Then i went on the board and made some random thorughts . Started with the very simple. Jumanji and Dump Charade came into my mind. So i mixed and matched I added some of nostalgia into them. And thats as far as i have reached. 
I still dont know how to design document which is another part . I have to study that too  but there's enough material i can read and i hope i can do that quickly. For that i need to start with a base. 
And honestly I dont even know at my level what should the expectations be. As a game dev i think like the games i make theres proper reasoning for changes and addition. but now designing for the first time it seems a tough job but i have to do i anyhow. 

I had two ideas one A card Game where 4 players play as a pair each. both being friends.. They have 'X' chips at the start of the game. its a limited time game. The team that has most chops at til the end wins or if the other team loses all the chips. 
 You have clue cards. Like Movies, Songs. Places, Adventure. The dealer gives you  the cue cards. You have to make your partner/Friend Guess what that moment/memory was. you have lifelines like swap card, Pass ,Double Bet.  You lose a chip if you cant answer within the given time or if u answer wrong.  You gain a chip if u guess it correctly. 

Why didn't you lead off with that in your original post?

Why didn't you lead off with that in your original post?

Well what should i say now.
May because I myself didnt liked it and couldnt come up with the final thing. Or maybe i'm new and dont know yet how things work in this domain.

Sorry for the trouble. But im glad atleast you understood. 
So now can you share some thoughts maybe ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!