Vulkan is Next-Gen OpenGL

Started by
463 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 7 years, 6 months ago

Not on tablet/phone hardware they don't.

I'm not sure that Microsoft-based phones and tablets represent a credible enough install-base to be worried about.

More interesting to see if Apple will let this in the door to iOS - without that chunk of the mobile market, you'll be stuck supporting Vulcan and Metal for the foreseeable future.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

I've been thinking, maybe they'll expose OpenGL extensions to handle the SPIRV intermediate language...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Any idea how vulkan will be "deviding" the support for lots of different devices?
Meaning that you don't have a disadvantage when developing for current gen consoles/pc versus a gui for a washing machine.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

AMD published a new release: http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2015/03/03/one-of-mantles-futures-vulkan

The main point being that Vulkan is essentially an iterated cross platform version of Mantle. I like that AMD was willing to describe their own press release hours earlier as cryptic.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

and not sure how Microsoft will cooperate (DX12 still not available).

Why would MS have to do anything?
They don't support OpenGL, Mantle, OpenCL and CUDA and yet they all work just fine... this is no different.

I was trying to bring up the fact that some people believe that Microsoft sabotaged the OpenGL implementation on Windows to increase DirectX adoption. And whether Microsoft will allow Vulkan and Mantle to be first-class citizens with DX12 (if it's even possible) and whether Microsoft will keep their open-source friendly ways up (like Promit mentioned).

IIRC, Apple has to explicitly allow support for new APIs because they write their own drivers. So "it just works" isn't always possible.

I was trying to bring up the fact that some people believe that Microsoft sabotaged the OpenGL implementation on Windows to increase DirectX adoption. And whether Microsoft will allow Vulkan and Mantle to be first-class citizens with DX12 (if it's even possible) and whether Microsoft will keep their open-source friendly ways up (like Promit mentioned).

IIRC, Apple has to explicitly allow support for new APIs because they write their own drivers. So "it just works" isn't always possible.

The story I heard was that the Windows NT team had OpenGL because they wanted to break into the CAD workstation market. The Windows 95 team wanted OpenGL for games, the NT team wouldn't play ball, and hence DirectX (or more specifically Direct3D because DirectX already existed) was born. If that was the case, any sabotage was internal. If you've ever had to deal with Microsoft in a professional capacity that's perfectly believable.

As for open-source friendliness, it hardly seems relevant; it was never the case that OpenGL was open-source (it's not even software so it can't be).

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I was trying to bring up the fact that some people believe that Microsoft sabotaged the OpenGL implementation on Windows to increase DirectX adoption.

Yes, people do enjoy painting MS as the 'big bad' in all of this when, truth be told, 99% of OpenGL's problems were caused by ARB infighting and incompetence (see GL2.0 and Longs Peak/GL3.0) - the worst MS ever did was fix their software version back on GL1.1 and not ship GL drivers/dlls via Windows update for updated graphics drivers (which is a pain, but given they don't test that component I can see why), but they never actively sabotaged things.
(btw, if your source for this was the Wolfire blog from some time back then... well, forget you read it, it was trash frankly.)

The biggest tell in all of this is the utter amazement which has been expressed by many long time graphics programmers that Valkan seems, well, sane and well thought out.. I think many of us are still waiting for the other shoe to drop and won't be 100% convinced until we have working drivers in our hands to play with/test.

I was trying to bring up the fact that some people believe that Microsoft sabotaged the OpenGL implementation on Windows to increase DirectX adoption.

Yes, people do enjoy painting MS as the 'big bad' in all of this when, truth be told, 99% of OpenGL's problems were caused by ARB infighting and incompetence (see GL2.0 and Longs Peak/GL3.0) - the worst MS ever did was fix their software version back on GL1.1 and not ship GL drivers/dlls via Windows update for updated graphics drivers (which is a pain, but given they don't test that component I can see why), but they never actively sabotaged things.

https://www.opengl.org/archives/about/arb/meeting_notes/

Go dig in there and see for yourself what Microsoft was doing back when they were part of the ARB.

For instance:

March 5, 2002
ARB_vertex_program:
"Microsoft wanted to alleviate concerns about their statement last week regarding possible claims on vertex program IP. Dave Aronson apologized for the perception that they aren't acting in good faith. They are trying to follow ARB regulations about stating IP as much as possible. When a vote was imminent, they reviewed and felt that they had patents or patents pending covering vertex programming. They do plan on coming up with licensing terms, and have set a hard deadline for themselves of 2 weeks before the June ARB meeting."
June 18, 2002
ARB_vertex_program:
"Microsoft believes they have patent rights relating to the ARB_vertex_program extension. They did not contribute to the extension, but are trying to be upfront about it. They're offering to license their IP under reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms; will license rights to the extent necessary, provided a reciprocal license is granted to MS. Granted on 1:1 basis for OpenGL 1.3, 1.4, and earlier versions. Contact Dave Aronson for more specifics. Suzy asked Dave to circulate his statement to the participants' list."
ARB_fragment_program:
"Microsoft does believe they have IP claims against fragment shaders, too."
"Bill asked about Microsoft's IP position on just the program management framework; Dave was unable to comment at this point."
"Suzy asked Microsoft to figure out their IP claims, if any, against just the program management stuff."
September 18, 2002
ARB_fragment_program:
"Microsoft noted their previously mentioned IP claim. They were asked if they could be at all more specific as to what their claim was, and will follow up with their lawyers to determine this."

There's nothing even vaguely unusual or improprietous about those excerpts. It's somewhat reflective of the standard internal MS dysfunction that has afflicted them for many years, but it's certainly not misconduct.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Asserting rights to IP is not sabotage; if it was then the same claim can be levelled at others in the group too over their various IP claims over the years. Hell, S3 caused issues with their texture compression IP claims.

Btw, MS left the ARB in March of the following year; it has taken 12 years for the rest of them to stop messing up with the following years being series of mistakes, missteps, bad choices and back tracking.
(Years, btw, that I lived as an OpenGL programmer, one time moderator of this sub-form, vocal GL advocate vs DX9, and GLSL chapter author for More OpenGL Game Programming... so, I know a thing or two about the history ;))

All of this is of course horribly off topic so should probably stop...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement