Vulkan is Next-Gen OpenGL

Started by
463 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 7 years, 6 months ago

Based on Khronos' previous performance I'd say that they're perfectly capable of going from information blackout to full release overnight.

They're also quite capable of scrapping Vulkan and releasing an OpenGL 5.0 that is little more than new extensions layered on the existing mess, even at this late stage.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Advertisement

Based on Khronos' previous performance I'd say that they're perfectly capable of going from information blackout to full release overnight.

They're also quite capable of scrapping Vulkan and releasing an OpenGL 5.0 that is little more than new extensions layered on the existing mess, even at this late stage.

The estimated release is alarmingly close to April 1 ...

It is very unlikely. Vulkan and OpenGL are two different paths. They will continue to coexist for many years to come.

The estimated release is alarmingly close to April 1 ...

I'm betting on February 9th, 2016. ;)

It is very unlikely. Vulkan and OpenGL are two different paths. They will continue to coexist for many years to come.

He's just saying that because Khronos has actually done that exact thing before...
They were supposed to ve working on a new, modern, clean API called Longs Peak, which would break backwards compatibility with GL. And , after setting the hype train in motion, they released a new GL instead (and handed API war victory to D3D on a silver platter).

If they did the same thing this time, my bet would be on Valve taking to initiative to finish Mantle/Vulakn/Valven on their own, and form a new comittee making Khronos redundant. So, failure is not an option for them this time.

If they did the same thing this time, my bet would be on Valve taking to initiative to finish Mantle/Vulakn/Valven on their own, and form a new comittee making Khronos redundant. So, failure is not an option for them this time.

That'd be cool, just so Valve can name the new committee "Overwatch".

He's just saying that because Khronos has actually done that exact thing before...
They were supposed to ve working on a new, modern, clean API called Longs Peak, which would break backwards compatibility with GL. And , after setting the hype train in motion, they released a new GL instead (and handed API war victory to D3D on a silver platter).

Well, the story about Longs Peak is a bit different. That was a threat to cease support for legacy OpenGL in the upcoming drivers. That's why OpenGL 3.0 didn't break backward compatibility. This time, Vulkan will coexist with OpenGL. Furthermore, OpenGL will be a more popular API for many years to come, because of the higher level of abstraction, the easiness of the usage and less responsibility for the programmers. Many of them are not aware of what the drivers do for them. Vulkan would change it a lot. Also, Vulkan is both graphics and computation API. Valve is deeply involved, but the support of big players and hardware vendors is even more important. NVIDIA already has support for Vulkan in its drivers.

That'd be cool, just so Valve can name the new committee "Overwatch".

Valve & Google VS Microsoft VS Apple

IT is getting more interesting than 10 years ago, when we had MS only.

Nvidia and probably also the others, will allow Vulkan within OpenGL. I wonder if Apple can forbid that...

Nvidia and probably also the others, will allow Vulkan within OpenGL. I wonder if Apple can forbid that...

Of course they can; Apple controls the drivers on the Mac, that's why OpenGL on OSX is behind the state of the art.

Personally, with their focus on Metal, I'll be surprised if we see Vulkan on OSX, at least beyond lip service...
(and even then unless it comes with any tools it'll continue to be a joke to develop on...)

Or they could just wait another 10 or 15 years then try again! /s

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Kronos has some more experience in standardisation than it had back then. They released several spec since then and while not of them are successful I think opencl is a rather clean and well defined one for instance even if it was ahead of hardware support. Same for late gl extensions, they managed to pull a new programming model with help of multi draw indirect and bind less texture before d3d did.
Of course this doesn't mean that Vulkan release is going to be flawless but I think the situation has changed since the Long Peak disappointment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement