• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JeremiasRama

My plans and where I started

This topic is 1261 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm a high school student. I'm starting to like creating game first on Warcraft 3 Plaftrom, Starcraft 2 and want to move to higher ground so I can make game myself. I learned about unity, unreal engine and cry engine and between those 3 I like cry engine best, but find UnrealEngine most suitable for me. I mastered VB6 programming language and still learn using C# and C++

1. What's the computer system requirements that required to make an excelent graphic realistic game using UnrealEngine, how much does it cost?
  2. What's best programming language used in game development? Is it C# or C++, which one is harder and easier to understand or it's just the same?
  3. Aside from budget for computer, what else must I spend my money for game development?
  4. Instead of creating engine and using one that already existed, is it wise and can raise revenue if I sell it? Should I learn to create my own engine or is it wiser to use someone else's engine?

Sincirely,

Jerry

Advertisement
Here's my input;

- language: c++ is the way if you're going deeper then "top" level
(most aaa titles use c++ code underneath the hood)?
Note: depending on the engine you choose, you might start with c#, also here it depends on where you want to be in a few years
- On the hardware side there are a few approaches, lower specs/ minimum required hardware for the used engine will challenge you more on optimizing, higher specs will give you ability to do more related stuff on the same machine (modelling, textures, audio etc). It all depends on what you want to do.

For sure, go for at least something dual core, a SSD for booting/ applications and a separated (not integrated) graphics card/GPU.

@JBadams thanks it's really is helpful biggrin.png  by high quality art do you mean textures? So basically, all games out there just using simple shape but the texture is what makes the game realistic? So I must be able to draw first before putting my work into my game world?

@cozzie thanks as well, I'm using UnrealEngine so it's C++ then? The language is quite interesting

Edited by JeremiasRama

Not just textures for a 3d game; the models, textures, and additional things like bump maps, etc.

For a 2d game perhaps just the images, although techniques like bump mapping are sometimes applied in 2d as well to help with more realistic dynamic lighting.

Obviously everything I've said is very high level and just an overview, but hopefully should provide starting points for your own additional research. :)

Epic has a hardware listing of pc specs that their team uses for development with Unreal Engine broken down by the usage so you can look that up on their web site. Nice to get an idea whats what.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!