• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
welOhim

Bitmap graphics pixels scanning

This topic is 1321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I have a simple algorithm in mind for this game:- activate "x" animation or gameplay when letter "y" is recognised by the scanning phone camera image (all done in code)

So what you play varies and depends on what letter the camera scans. This sort of thing (in different forms) is common in augmented reality games 

But my first step to doing this ran into a problem that i can't explain 

To start with, i started with a simple enough test algorithm:

scan Bitmap pixel by pixel (image of A4 paper - which has pen marks on it),

if a pixel's color is black paint it red otherwise put white colour on the pixel

My cut-off for black is flexible and changeable. I experimented a lot 

I came up with a form of grey :  int colorConst2  = ((Color.GRAY +  Color.GRAY +  Color.GRAY + Color.GRAY)/4)  +  700000;

This is so that a dim lighting or mild shadows don't get translated as a black

But whatever the cut-off  i choose there are lots of pixels on the outer edges that get coloured red (for black pixels) even though they are white (see images)

If i lower the cut-off so those rouge pixels don't get picked up, then some of the real black marks on the inside begin to fade off (not picked as black)

While human still recognised the letters, the rouge pixels messes up the program's letter recognition algorithm for variable animation and gameplay

Initially I thought it was the phone camera settings, after trying all settings available, i came to the conclusions it is a graphics algorithm issue

Probably something i need to take into account while checking the pixels

I am mystified, hoping someone knows what it is

Advertisement

dammit, wrote you a long reply and accidentally closed the tab and lost it :(

in summary you made a good start but with a flawed approach, hard coded values won't work well given the unpredictability of the users lighting conditions.

You are better of using a edge/feature detection type solution. The idea being to compare each pixel against its surroundings and extract its contrast from that.

i.e sample some neighbouring pixels and compare luminance against those.

Take a look at some common convolution filters for some ideas.

Here is an example I made where I run them on the gpu:

http://blog.bwhiting.co.uk/?p=223

Thanks for the hint.

I have been looking at the link, and how to use AGAL helper library and the learning curve seem huge

I know you mention AGAL.convolve(output, sample, texture, uv, offset, matrix)+ 

but struggling to see how to use it to achieve the aim directly. 

Obviously you used in C++, Can it the library be used in Java environment?

Thanks

Ah it was more for an example of the result not really the implementation, there is much more going on there than you need to be interested in.

Take a look here:

http://www.roborealm.com/help/Convolution.php

or here:

http://www.hoomanr.com/Demos/Filters2/

and choose the convolution filter and plug in the numbers from the first link

or here for some code in js you can easily port to java:

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/canvas/imagefilters/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!