• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CC Ricers

Any tutorials on ray marching with shaders?

This topic is 1235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think most of us here know of Iñigo Quilez and his articles on how to do many 3D rendering techniques and producing entire scenes using just shaders.

I'm having trouble finding the articles that are more of a beginner level for generating entire scenes with shaders, though. Are there also other websites I can look at that have some tutorials that show how ray marching works without diving way too far into the math? (which should be reasonable for the beginner level)

I already have a decent amount of knowledge using HLSL for rendering scenes with polygonal meshes, and adding textures, lighting, shadows, etc. But this time I want to learn how to do a simple scene using ray marching. Like a scene that puts a sphere in front of the camera and then shows how you draw it with perspective, and shading.

Edited by CC Ricers

Advertisement

Thanks guys, the paper by IQuilez has a good way to show how it is done step by step, and create a perspective projection as well. I also found some good resources on Geeks3D, it's closest to what I'm looking for.

I started modifying the base code and now am able to render spheres with blinn-phong, some post-processing and a moving camera.

Shaders.com has lots of example code, if that helps.

That doesn't seem to be in use anymore

argh bloody autocorrect on my phone!
That was meant to be
http://www.shadertoy.com

Almost every example on that site seems to be a raymarching demo biggrin.png Edited by Hodgman

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!