• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Best way of handling Auto-tiling?

This topic is 1173 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have tried it using this method: http://www.angryfishstudios.com/2011/04/adventures-in-bitmasking/

But that way is pretty hefty, especially if you have several terrain types.

So I thought of trying the method here, which uses transparency in the tiles:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/tilemap-based-game-techniques-handling-terrai-r934

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with auto-tiling? What method did you use? Would you recommend it? I have also been thinking of texture splatting, which age of empires uses, worth it?

Advertisement

We have had a little experience with it. Here's some old documentation on how we originally went about handling transition tiles in our title: [LINK].

While in theory this sounds nice, it was really a pain to implement and support it. We've pretty much thrown away all support for this sort of programmable transition tile. We achieve the same effect now by simply using multiple tile layers and having transparency in several of our tiles that do the blending. Adding support to our editor to automatically detect the proper transition tiles and enter it accordingly is not worth the effort for us (we are a very small team of unpaid hobbyists). Instead, we focused on making our editor easy to use in other areas and add in the extra tiles necessary into our tilesets to achieve nice looking transitions.

Here's a long-ish video I released recently of several major changes that I made to our editor. You can kind of get an idea of how we build maps using tilesets, layers, and a feature we call "map contexts". If you're not interested in watching the whole thing, I would skim around and take a look at the different things we can do with it.

My opinion is that custom support for transition tiles in your editor/game is "nice to have", but probably shouldn't be a high priority. There's likely much more important things you can invest your teams time in, and I don't think adding any fancy transition tiles will save you much time in map design (at least not for a game like ours). But take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I haven't worked extensively with this sort of technology myself.

Yeah, i have heard some people do it like that, and have thought about it myself. Seems like a simpler version of the second link i posted. But i am having thought about how that would actually work if you have a lot of different layers for the different terrain, having to loop trough each one and draw, instead of having it all calculated in a single one. I am making a large scale rts with procedural terrain that gets generated on the fly, so it's a bit more that will be done then in a handmade rpg?

Yeah, if you are making a game that is resource intensive then you may not want to do a multi-layered terrain approach. Every map we've made so far needed no more than three layers of tiles to create, so it's not as if we're abusing things and adding several more layers than needed. If you really want the simplicity of a layered drawing system + the performance of a single layer system, what you could do is render all of your tiles when a map loads so that you already have all of the terrain in a single layer. This might require a bit more video memory to hold all of these pre-rendered composite tiles however. But then again if your terrain is procedural and dynamic (can deform from battles, for example) then this approach probably won't work for you. It's hard to speculate on what the best solution would be for you without knowing more details about your title, target platform, system requirements, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!