Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jelb

Visual Basic Learning Edition...

Hello everyone, Does anyone know if the learning edition of Visual Basic 6 that you get with some books is any different than what you buy on its own? (For much more than the price of a book). Is it trimmed down in some way? I take it that neither one allows compiling? Thanks, jelb

i think its just the same as the standard version (well i have Learning Edt w/ books) i might be wrong. i know for sure that it doesnt have all the extra things that pro and enterprise has..... the books you get with it are very good, and worth getting.

the learning edition (and all of them) allow compiling, otherwise that kinda defeats the object of buying the compilier

i payed something like £90 for learning edition with books, the books are probably like £25/£30 each if not more alone, so its a good deal.

Edited by - Bezzant on November 10, 2001 3:08:16 PM

I have learning ed. It''s as good asside from lack of certain project templates. It simply lacks many wizzards and project types that ent. ed. has. In my opinion, you can live without the books. They never helped me, but I''m the kind of person that programs until I hit a bump, then I go into the windows help file and find what I want, then carry on. It''s all up to you.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"

I think the learning edition has a slightly weaker compiler - I knew that VB5 learning ed couldn''t compile native code exe''s, only p-code. check in the compiler options, also - can you make AcX DLL''s/EXE''s/controls? pro edition can.

also, your missing many additional controls, project templates, utilities, help files, libraries of graphics/icons etc...

Jack;

Exactly as I said. You CAN make exe''s, and activeX ctrls. But I''m not sure about dll''s. You lack many of the useful components, controlls, wizards, and optimizations that proffesional edition has. However, if you are a causual programmer, learning edition should be just fine. It''s fine for my work anyway.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"

** BIG EXCEPTION HERE **

According to license, you can not sell; maybe even just distribute, programs that are made using the Learning Edition. I may be wrong about the second part but I know the first part is correct.

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Don''t know if this is what you''re talking about, but from what I''ve seen, the version of VB that comes with books is usually Visual Basic Introductory edition.

Its okay, but it doesn''t generate .exes, and it doesn''t come with documentation(no MSDN).

I haven''t come across any book that gave you the Learning edition (which generates *.exes, and has MSDN help).