• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CGXel

Game Perfomance

This topic is 1202 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(excuse my grammar and my weird way to connect phrases, I speak spanish)

I was wondering what decreases a Game's perfomance? (like FPS), for example, I know (or I've been told) that having models with too many triangles will decrease a game perfomance, so... yea... what are all those "things" that slow the perfomance?, it'd be useful too knowing how much does it affects it, like, "too many textures would slow the perfomance, but not as much as too many triangles in the scene" (something like that)

Any kind of information its useful!

Edited by CGXel

Advertisement
Everything you do takes time. By eliminating instructions you can increase the execution rate, as well applying many optimizations out there correctly.

E.g: rendering triangles that can't be viewed, performing collision detection on objects that can't collide given some condition, drawing things that didn't change from frame to frame (frame coherence), wrong use of memory cache (cache coherence), etc. these are just 10% of the problems that should be tracked.

Thank you all for your answers and for being so nice biggrin.png  

I'll keep an eye to read the blog phil_t suggested, because I don't have any programing knowledge so far and I've just started using Unity (there seem to be good tutorials on Digital Tutors)

Could anyone suggest me a good online curse or any useful tips for basic programming? (for Unity), I don't know anything about this topic but my first long term goal its to finish a simple indie game

Edit:
Here's an useful link I've found smile.png

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/374930/what-should-i-learn-first.html
(I really don't remember how did I get to that webpage, becasue I don't see the same link posted on this topic, lol...)

I've found hundreds of tutorials so far, I'm really excited!, time to learn and take notes :)

Edited by CGXel

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!