Mipmaps with multiple texture arrays

Started by
11 comments, last by Misantes 9 years, 1 month ago

So, I'm in need of using a couple texture arrays, rather than packing everything into a single array. I'm baking a lightmap/normals/etc into various images to use for most of the background objects, as the player doesn't interact with them, so there's little need to be calculating shadows/normals etc in real-time. However, I'm finding that using higher definition images when baking those results in much better results, especially as I'm scaling some of them rather large. But, since I don't want to use huge textures for everything, I thought I would just use two arrays. One for regular objects, that will have their shadows mapped, and normal/specular images separate, and one for the higher definition images, with the shadows/normal lighting baked in.

However, I'm struggling a little with the mipmap levels, I think. It's possible I'm erring elsewhere, but I'll try to explain:

When I draw two different objects, each using a different texture array, the image from the array with smaller sized images array loaded first becomes darker, especially when viewed from a distance (like it's being improperly mipmapped). Upon moving closer to the object, it becomes more visible, but still a bit wonky. If I drop the mipmap to 1 for the array that's loaded first, the darkness on the texture goes away (but, then I have no mipmapping on the textures in that array).

Here's a stripped down example, forgive the naming conventions, I'm terrible at coming up with things on the fly, and needed to rewrite these in a simpler format than they exist:

void Textures::LoadTextures()
{
    CreateTextureArray();
    LoadImages();
    CreateHDTextureArray();
    LoadHDImages();
}
void Textures::CreateTextureArray()
{
    glGenTextures(1, &TextureArray);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, TextureArray);
    glTexStorage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,11, GL_RGBA8, 1024, 1024, 18);
}
void Textures::CreateHDTextureArray()
{
    glGenTextures(1, &HDTextureArray);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, HDTextureArray);
    glTexStorage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,11, GL_RGBA8, 4096, 4096, 1);

}
void Textures::LoadImageToArray(sf::Image &imageIN, const char* imageName, int layerNumber)
{
    if(!imageIN.loadFromFile(imageName))
    {
        std::cout<<imageName<<" is borked..."<<std::endl;
    }

glTexSubImage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, 0, 0, 0, layerNumber, imageIN.getSize().x,
                    imageIN.getSize().y,1, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, imageIN.getPixelsPtr());
}

When drawing:

void EnableTexture(Object &ObjectIN, GLuint &textureArrayIN, glm::vec3 &imageIndexIN)
{
    glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, textureArrayIN);
    glUniform1i(ObjectIN.gTextureArrayID(),0);
    glUniform1i(ObjectIN.gLayerNumID1(), imageIndexIN.x);
    glUniform1i(ObjectIN.gLayerNumID2(), imageIndexIN.y);
    glUniform1i(ObjectIN.gLayerNumID3(), imageIndexIN.z);
} 

the opengl references are a little light on information for glTexStorage3D, but from what I gather, I can use a value up to a certain fraction of the image size for the mipmap level (in this case 11, for the 1024, and I believe 13 for the 4096 textures.

My question is, when binding a new array, does that override the settings for the previous array (specifically mipmap sizes for both arrays)? Or, am I perhaps going about this entirely incorrectly?

Is there a step I'm missing when binding the array for use in the shader?

Additionally, I've read I can just use the single larger array, and use a mipmap portion when I need a smaller image. Is there any advantage to that, rather than this approach? I imagine there's some benefit, as I'm not rebinding the arrays, but if it's marginal, this seems like the simpler approach.

If I'm not providing enough information, or if some images would help explain, please let me know.

I appreciate any advice smile.png

Edit*

Here are a couple of images to maybe help explain. Forgive the overwhelming redness, it's just a hodgepodge of stuff thrown together for an example with none of the shaders balanced tongue.png

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

Advertisement

So you have 2 separate objects. 2 texture arrays, and what appears to be only mipLevel 0 appearing on one, and any other further away smaller mips come out as black?

Have you tried changing the black object to not use a texture array and verify it is mip mapping correctly? Did you try calling glGetError() at any point? I recently had some issues with my texture array code and mip map generation and it caused the images to be all black. I can't remember the issue but I think you need to have your glTexParemeteri() setup for mipmapping before uploading your mip maps.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Yeah, all the images mip fine individually, have tested pretty thoroughly with that. I can render each perfectly fine and mip-mapped on their own within an array or on their own. It's only when I try to render both with arrays that the array first loaded gets screwy. glGetError() calls aren't reporting anything.

my parameters looks like this:

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
    glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);

glGenerateMipmap(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY);

Which, I believe should be fine (again, it's fine for individual arrays). It is loaded before the arrays are created.

Sounds like a potential state issue. What happens if you apply the same texture array to both objects? Have you tried rendering them as object 1 , then 2 and then 2,1 as well to see if it is always the second object, or if it is always that one specific object that won't work?

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Thanks, I appreciate the continued help smile.png

There are other objects in the scene from the same array, the issue persists with all of them, not just a single object.

When using the same texture array on both objects (using the 4096 array), things are rendered fine, excluding the fact that the texture isn't properly uvmapped.

Using the 1024 array is seemingly fine as well, though looks rather odd since it's trying to use the 1024 texture in lieu of a 4096 one, so I get a hodgepodge of various images in that array.

Rendering order has no effect, the problems persist regardless of which is drawn first, and rendering order doesn't affect which array has issues.

The only thing that really affects things is whichever array is loaded first is the one with issues. As though the mipmap level values get deleted on the first array when the second one is loaded.

Should I be clearing or resetting anything between binding textures? Is there any issue with glTexSubImage3D, loading different sizes into that, bearing in mind I'm loading all of one size, binding another array, then loading all of the next size?

Is this called before or after the image loading calls? I forget if it should be before or after.

"The only thing that really affects things is whichever array is loaded first is the one with issues."

Just to be clear. If you bypass loading the second image, the first image will is completely fine? And when you tested your texture arrays being applied, did you still load both, but only bind one during drawing? Since it obviously sounds like a loading issue, just wondering if you still loaded them both.

Have you tried gDebugger to see if it says your texture arrays are mip-mapped. You can also use the texture viewer to see what they hold.

Is this called before or after the image loading calls? I forget if it should be before or after.

I've been calling it after. A quick test of calling it before makes both arrays have the problem. I'm not 100% certain this is correct, but has served me thus far.

Just to be clear. If you bypass loading the second image, the first image will is completely fine? And when you tested your texture arrays being applied, did you still load both, but only bind one during drawing? Since it obviously sounds like a loading issue, just wondering if you still loaded them both.

Edit* my apologies, I've probably been confusing you with poorly used terminology, when I've said "bind" or "load" before, I was usually referring to when the array is bound at creation, not during the render function. It is the array that is created first that has the issues.

Yes, images in the first array are perfectly fine if I don't create the second array, and vice versa.

When I tested them, I did the following:

1- create and load first array only. Bind and apply images from first array to all objects when rendering. Result: everything fine, excluding uvmapping tongue.png

2-create and load second array only. Bind and apply images from second array to all objects when rendering. Result: everything fine, excluding uv-mapping.

3-create and load both arrays, try various bind/render orders. Result: whichever array was created first when textures are loaded, has issues.

4-create and load both arrays, using images from only one of the arrays during render. Result: if using images from first array, problems persist. If using images from second array, no issues.

Basically,if more than one array is created, whichever array is created first is the one whose textures will have issues, regardless of render order, which object they're applied to, or seemingly anything else.

To note: if I set the mipmap level for the array with the 4096 version to 1, and load it first, things render more or less ok, as they're large scaled-up objects with large textures. The issues don't seem to persist, if only because the objects are never too far away or small enough for the lack of mipmapping to be noticeable.

I've never used gDebugger, but I'm downloading it now. I'll try it and out and see what it reports.

In case it helps clear things up at all and is easier to see, here is the issue with the larger array illustrated.

glGenTextures(1,&GL_Index);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_Index);
glTexStorage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, numDiffuseMipMapLevels, pixelFormat, TextureSize,TextureSize, textures.size());

mipLevelUploading = 0;
//loop through 'i' textures

glTexSubImage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY, mipLevelUploading, 0, 0, i, diffuseTextureSize, diffuseTextureSize, depth, pixelFormat, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, texture->pixels);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);

That's my code and this is called about 8 times back to back uploading all my texture arrays.

Maybe your glTexStorage3D call isn't factoring in mip maps properly?..........aha scrolled up,:

glTexStorage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,11, GL_RGBA8, 4096, 4096, 1); <-------------------13 mip maps, not 11

MipMapCount = log((double)TextureSize) / log((double)2);
This will calculate the mip map level given an input "texturesize", so you don't have to hard code it.

That's my code and this is called about 8 times back to back uploading all my texture arrays.

Hrm. Our code is looking pretty identical. I'm now questioning whether this is actually the issue. I'm not seeing any significant differences.

glTexStorage3D(GL_TEXTURE_2D_ARRAY,11, GL_RGBA8, 4096, 4096, 1); <-------------------13 mip maps, not 11

Unfortunately, during testing, I had already calculated the 13 out and used that for the larger array(though still hardcoded, I should fix that), but it doesn't affect things. I should have updated that here. Also, 11 should still be a valid value, and it affects the smaller array as well, which had the correct mipmap level.

We haven't talked about it, but I still need to rebind each of the arrays at render time, right before they're used, correct?

I still appreciate the help though. I'll make up a quick small program, trying to eliminate any other variables that might be coming into play here, and see how that plays out. I'm pretty stumped though, otherwise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement