BGFX Renderer Compiling Woes

Started by
11 comments, last by Tangletail 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm having some problems trying to get the thing to compile correctly for Visual Studios 2013, which uses compiler vs2012. And I am running into a variety of issues.

1. GNUMake doesn't work for some freaking reason in CMD

- I have the Path Variable for it's bin directory, it's just Windows 7 apparently doesn't recognize it. So I have to pretty much force it with the absolute directory.

2. When Make Does run, it finds the makefile just fine. But once it gets to a certain point (pretty much two or three lines), it can't find some particular file. Looks like the build solution? Which... doesn't exist anyways.

3. When I run vs2012 or 13, it says no rules have been defined. Defining these rules manually brings me back to issue 2.

Anyone know what's going on?

Advertisement
Have you got the bx project cloned beside bgfx? your directory structure should look like this:

/whatever/bx
/whatever/bgfx

You then go into bgfx and run make from there.

C:\Users\Solaris\Desktop\BG\BGFX>"C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin\make.exe"
../bx/tools/bin/windows/genie --with-tools --with-shared-lib vs2008
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, ../bx/tools/bin/windows/genie --with-tools --
with-shared-lib vs2008, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: *** [all] Error 2

C:\Users\Solaris\Desktop\BG\BGFX>

Yeaaaah. No good. Just set it up in that style.

Also tried moving the folder back a level, and it didn't work.

I also looked into that folder it's stopped at, and there is no genie folder. Just a gitignore file.

If you don't have that "genie.exe" then you don't have a valid checkout of the "bx" project.

So either download a zip of "bx" again or checkout and pull master from bx to get the latest - dependent on how you got it.

You also don't need all the makefile and GnuWin32 stuff, the command line you want is right there in your output as:

../bx/tools/bin/windows/genie --with-tools --with-shared-lib vs2008

Just change it to suit Windows cmd line formatting like so

..\bx\tools\bin\windows\genie.exe --with-tools --with-shared-lib vs2008

All that the makefile does is generate ALL of the possible build options for every single possible platform and configuration so if you just want a specific platform you can pass that command instead so for Visual Studio 2013 you'd just change it to:

..\bx\tools\bin\windows\genie.exe --with-tools --with-shared-lib vs2013

Now you have only the vs2013 solution without all of the rest.

Andy

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Also you do have the folders setup like this yes?

C:\Users\Solaris\Desktop\BG\BGFX
C:\Users\Solaris\Desktop\BG\bx

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"

"Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgement difficult."

Here's what your bx folder should look like:

03.09.2015-10.03.png

If it doesn't look like that, you've Done It Wrong™. Just delete the folder and clone it again.

Oddly enough, I pulled it from a git, and it appears to be missing quite a bit.

Alright. Got it to compile. Now none of them actually runs.

Can you tell us more about how they don't run?

Is it a graphics initialisation error?

Are you starting them in the wrong working directory?

You seem to have had some issues getting your Git repositories setup so something may not be configured correctly.

I've run the BGFX stuff just fine on a range of platforms when evaluating it with only my Intel iGPU giving me some trouble with various configurations (OpenGL vs DX etc).

The other thing you could do is contact the author, he's been very friendly and helpful when we chatted in the past. He's on Twitter (https://twitter.com/bkaradzic) or you could contact him via the BGFX GitHub pages.

Andy

I can't even get any information out of it actually. I am just getting a error from windows saying that an error occured from this program. No code or anything. Debugger doesn't help much either. It's line stops at some code I believe has to do with memory. I'm still looking into it, but I have virtually no idea what this guy is doing in his code. There is literally multiple functions written in hex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement