• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jeffreyjenkins

learning game development/design with a car racing game project (mud, sand effects)

This topic is 1233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a real newbie to game development.

I was thinking about developing a game and learning the game development while doing this project so that I can learn the things that I really need to use and not wasting my time learning everything and not using them.

• The game that I have in mind is a game to run on android or ios
  • It is a place which there are road, mud , and sand in different areas
  • in this big land there are coins in different places (random all the time)
  • the players have cars and they play either offline by there self or online all players in the area.
  • The player which collects the most coins in certain amount of time, wins.
  • the effect of the car's tires on the different area like roads, sand, and mud is a major thing that I want to have it as real as possible.

Based on the game features that I have mentioned, what game development concepts/techniques I need to learn/master and what things are different if I want go with android or ios or both.

I know that this might not be one person job but if I need another person, what are the skills that other person(s) has to have.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Any reason why you wouldn't want to use Unreal Engine?

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

Now free (with exceptions), better quality tool, used extensively for the best games, etc. I would be inclined to go with that now.

Regarding the skills that you need, it really comes down to the specifics of the game and who you can find to work with you:

1. If you find the right skills for your vision then they will know what you need.

2. If you can't find the skills, your game designing will have to be scaled down to a manageable project that you can complete.

I get the feeling you will have to complete a few easier games before getting to this one.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!