What are your opinions on DX12/Vulkan/Mantle?

Started by
120 comments, last by Ubik 8 years, 10 months ago

I was just wondering, since game engines like DICE support already support mantle, wouldn't those engines be more likely to switch to Vulkan rather than DirectX 12, since Vulkan is based on Mantle?

Then, they would have a big competitive avantage over other games because they could run on Windows 7 and 8, and not just Windows 10. From the looks of it Vulkan seems to set to be released soon. Imagination Tech already has their GPUs working with Vulkan.

Advertisement

That's going to depend on the on-the-ground realities of driver and operating system support, when the dust finally settles. Remember, GL sounds like a great cross platform Direct3D killer on paper but doesn't live up to that in reality. We still don't know how Vulkan in real life will be. I expect that major engines, including DICE/Frostbite, will simply support both.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Direct3D 12 is based on Mantle and some reports say it will replace it.
Vulcan may or may not be is based on (or rather inspired by) Mantle (couldn’t double-check while on my phone).

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Vulcan may or may not be based on Mantle.

L. Spiro

There has never been any mention of D3D12 being based off of Mantle, nor did Microsoft ever make any statement about that.

AMD however has stated that they provided Khronos with Mantle to use as a base, and from what I can see they pretty much did draw inspiration from it.

I gets all your texture budgets!

There has never been any mention of D3D12 being based off of Mantle

“Based off” might be a slightly inaccurate choice of words (since I was just using the words he used), but no need to get pedantic.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/177407-microsoft-hints-that-directx-12-will-imitate-and-destroy-amds-mantle

“Imitate” and “inspired by” are words often used (same words used to describe Vulkan’s relationship with Mantle).

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

That is indeed a much more reasonable way to look at it.

I like to see it as AMD lighting a fire under both Microsoft and Krohnos's asses by showing them that developers do truly want and need new and better ways to interact with graphics hardware on PC. If you want to call that Microsoft being inspired by AMD that's totally valid, but the APIs themselves while sharing certain concepts (just like previous versions of DirectX and OpenGL shared concepts) are very very different.

I like to see it as AMD lighting a fire under both Microsoft and Krohnos's asses by showing them that developers do truly want and need new and better ways to interact with graphics hardware on PC.

That’? how I see it.

L. Spiro

Just for laughs...

uGgcRYG.jpg

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I was just wondering, since game engines like DICE support already support mantle, wouldn't those engines be more likely to switch to Vulkan rather than DirectX 12, since Vulkan is based on Mantle?
Then, they would have a big competitive avantage over other games because they could run on Windows 7 and 8, and not just Windows 10. From the looks of it Vulkan seems to set to be released soon. Imagination Tech already has their GPUs working with Vulkan.

These guys already support half a dozen different APIs. It's cheap for them to internally support both (and then game teams can choose whether to ship both/either/neither based on practical realities at the time).

Also Dx12 isn't just Windows10; it's also Xbone. Console games likely make more money for EA than PC, so optimizing for Xbone is probably important to them.

Off the top of my head, the full list of current APIs (as in, there's a justification for using them for a product right now) is:
Dx9(PC), Dx9.x(360), GCM(Ps3), GNM(Ps4), GXM(PsVita), Dx11(PC), Dx11.x(Xbone), Dx12(PC), Dx12.x(Xbone), GL3(PC), GL4(PC), Mantle(PC), Vulkan(PC), GL|ES2(Mobile), GL|ES3(Mobile), Metal(iOS).
At this point, adding one item to that list seems like a small task! :lol:
[edit]..aaand I forgot Nintendo, add two more![/edit]

Vulcan may or may not be is based on (or rather inspired by) Mantle (couldn’t double-check while on my phone).

Vulkan is very much Mantle derived. Lots of the example Vulkan code that's been shown off so far would compile perfectly fine under the Mantle SDK if you just replace the "vk" prefixes with "gr" :D
I'd go as far to say that Vulkan 1.0 will be thr first public release of Mantle! :lol:

Just for laughs...

uGgcRYG.jpg

Oh wow, that's amazing (and horrible as well)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement